Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey new to the forum. im planning on getting a monster so im thinking out what chages id want to make before i do. I really like the under bike road racer exhaust. Is that not available for the 2003 800? everywhere i look it says for years .... to 1999. is there anyway to modify this at all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cant say for sure but it probably has not been fit yet so they will not say it will yet. I think the RR fits 2002 750s so it should fit 2003 800's. I dont see why it wouldnt but those that have owned the RR exhaust say they have clearence issues and they are just plain too loud.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Check with Stuart @ Spareshack, he sells them. Keep in mind that it will limit you ground clearence when cornering.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
The RR exhaust is loud but not too loud. I haven't been pulled over yet!

On my 01 M900, I had to space the sidestand out a bit (3-4 washers) and remove the big return spring. The big return spring was rubbing the exhaust tube. Everything works and looks fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how loud are these things? im getting scared now. Are people in parking grages going to grab theri kids and mess with my bike when i park and leave? I really want this pipe but am i going to get actual flak and angry looks in my upper middle class maryland/dc suburb area. i dont really care but curious

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually asking because i heard someone say that they had them but they were so loud he replaced them. that just seemed extreme

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no such thing as too loud!!
haha... fully open exhaust is TOO LOUD. When I was waiting on a new S pipe I had mine fully open. Sounded like a top alcohol dragster idling in the bleach box. The 105db sils are downright quiet compared.

Someone reported that roadracing are as loud as you can get without open pipes.

I find my sils are almost too loud but it keeps the cell phone equipped SUV drivers at bay.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It is loud but not too loud for my new subdivision. I always coast in and/or up shift whenever possible going through (during early or late hours) regardless of what bike I am on.

Not as loud or obnoxious as a Harley.
No regrets here.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
haha... fully open exhaust is TOO LOUD. When I was waiting on a new S pipe I had mine fully open. Sounded like a top alcohol dragster idling in the bleach box. The 105db sils are downright quiet compared.

Someone reported that roadracing are as loud as you can get without open pipes.

I find my sils are almost too loud but it keeps the cell phone equipped SUV drivers at bay.
So when you had the open exhaust, was it just the slipons removed? I was thinking of building a DIY high pipe exhaust with no cans. I can't help but wonder what it would sound like. I like loud, don't get me wrong, but I don't want annoying to ride.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
open exhaust was at the xover at under the swing arm..

both s pipes disconnected.

I'll tell you this.. its LOUD at idle. Any throttle and it roars like you would not believe.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
open exhaust was at the xover at under the swing arm..

both s pipes disconnected.

I'll tell you this.. its LOUD at idle. Any throttle and it roars like you would not believe.
So, is that a good thing, or. . .

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for you? cant say

for me it was way too loud and on the plus side my 105db sils which i thought were loud are not quite so loud now.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
for you? cant say

for me it was way too loud and on the plus side my 105db sils which i thought were loud are not quite so loud now.
Gotcha.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
? I think you hear them more coz there on the side, and you can scrape them on tarmac when leaning the bike over to the lefthand side

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
My roadracing exhaust has no clearance issues. It's a from 600/750 engine & had one bend slightly modded to suit the 900's deeper sump. Also, once the steel wool packing is replaced with fibreglass & the steel wool around the restrictor is removed the bike runs great & is much quieter. A shame the mini-review on this site has put a lot of people off what can be an excellent exhaust. And it looks awesome!!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I had a set on my '99 M900 and yes they are loud but not much louder than a Hardley! It's a totally different sound and, may I add, very very cool! The only reason I replaced them was because of performance. With a carb engine it is a bit difficult.

And as far as ground clearance... they are not a problem. (unless you are planning to do track days. Then they may be a problem) But for hard back road riding, no issues were had :)

If you can find them, get them. I also reccomend that you put them on a EFI bike. It will be much easier to tune.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts