Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 41 Posts

· Registered
2,923 Posts
General note for everyone.

Be on guard for holes and pavement edges that have begun to crumble. I've seen a lot of cracking pavement that will be a pot hole out there, and some fulled formed ones. Also a few roads that have softer shoulders go brutalized by the plows and are coming apart at the edges.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
If you didn't think about it - watch out for tons of sand out there. Took advantage of the nice weather P-day and made a loop from Arlington towards the Leesburg area and back.

Georgetown Pike, Belmont Ridge, Gum Springs and anything in between had heavy helpings of sand/gravel that still occupies the middle of the lanes.

Also there's a number of housing developments going in, in the Belmot and Gum areas, right along the road. So the trucks are tracking a lot of dirt and even some 1-3 pound rocks.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
General warning - but seen at the Dulles greenway toll plazas.

Saw a single vehicle moto accident in the toll plaza coming from the greenway to the toll road. I'm guessing the rider lost traction on the oil strip in the middle.

Those toll booth oil slicks are *really* bad and you really must avoid them. I almost lost my biek one time when I stopped for a toll and put my foot - just my foot on that stupid slick. There's so much oil in those places that my boot had 0 traction.

So when you go through a toll, even w/ a speed pass make sure you're in the left or right wheel track. And if you have to stop to do the toll, whatch your footing.

1 - 4 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.