Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help - or I should say my Duc mechanic needs a little help and I'm trying to do some research to help him out.

I have a M1100s and recently bought some Rizoma S*R rearsets. I've seen a bunch of people go with these, and install was pretty straight forward, except for the rear brake.

Currently my mechanic has run the stock brake line near(through?) the swing arm and the rear brake will engage, but not until its at the very, VERY bottom. This isn't practical and barely functional at all. Has anyone else had this issue during Rizoma rear set install or have any suggestions on how to get the play out of the system so it engages quicker?

I have heard some people go to a longer brake line, which I'd gladly do if I knew that would help (any advice on how long to go would be helpful too:)), but I guess my lack of understanding here doesn't help me understand how that would help the brake engage sooner.

Thanks to anyone who can help out here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sound like there is air in the lines. The actual length of the brake line has nothing to do with the actual function of the brake.

A 6" line vs a 3' line will have the same feel on a properly bled system.

If you need to get a longer line to avoid stretching, just take a coat hanger, bend it a cut it to where you want to be (routing wise), and measure with a ruler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tripod...

I know hje's not satisfied with how its working, so we'll give bleeding another go. Also think I'll get a longer line just to be safe, I don't want any undo pressure or stress on the line. Now I just need to figure out that length thing...

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome as well if anyone has had a similar issue that wasn't related to bleeding the lines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Let us know what you figure out.

I'm also considering the Rizoma rearsets for my M1100. I didn't know there was anything complicated or tricky to making the switch. :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to provide an update for anyone dealing with this in the future.

After another bleed, and tearing the whole thing apart, it now works like a champ. Longer line by a couple inches would be recommended just to make life easier, though it is possible to use the existing line. We couldn't find a great solution with the existing line, but we did make it work until the longer spiegler custom comes in.

Thanks for your response Tripod, its people like you that make these forums so valueable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts