Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of CycleCat clip-ons and decided to spoil myself w/ a set of the billet rizoma grips.
I tried to install the throttle side, but it doesn't fit correctly. The throttle adapter for the grips is of the right part number, but it is too thick to fit in the throttle cable housing/clamp apparatus on the handlebars.
I purchased the bike used and cannot be 100% positive that the clamp/housing is original, but the bike had NO mods, so I believe that it is 100%.
Has anyone else used these grips???If so, did you have the same problem??? Also, I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to post a pic of they're housing/clamp w/ a ruler held to it (or just email me the dimensions)...My bike is an '02 Monster 750.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
374 Posts
maybe you could take some pictures to show us what you are talking about. I was thinking about getting these as well. If you have the coffin style brake resoviors you do need an adpter for them.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm an idiot...it turns out that it WASN'T the right part # after all. They sent me the adapter for the dual cable, not the single. Motostrano is being very cooperative, though, and just told me to send it back w/ a note (and a follow-up email) and they'll ship out the correct one ASAP (they're on back-order right now). I will post pics once they're received and installed.
Eric

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
i seem to be having the same problem. i just tried installing the rizoma grips and the throttle adapter is too wide to fit in the throttle housing. the stock grips rotate freely, but the rizoma adapter doesn't. anyone else encounter this? any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had no fitment issues at all on my 04 M620i.e. My Rizoma grips came with three different throttle cams. Obviously, one fit like a glove.

Feel free to look around on my website (loads of pics.)

Edit: Obviously I couldn't spell when I posted this!  ::)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have not yet introduced myself to the DML yet (only to the Arizona members) but I wanted to respond to this thread.

I purchased Rizoma grips from Carpimoto and within four days they were here in Arizona (Carpimoto is awesome).  They took me 20 minutes to install on my 2002 M750Sie.  

The grips came with three throttle adapters and one plastic washer.  I had to select the adapter that matched the stock one, the other two would not fit into the stock housing nor would the plastic washer.  I installed the adapter on the throttle and have been using the grips now for three weeks with no problems.

The throttle grip did have an attached ring that fit in place of the plastic washer.  The attached ring went in place where the original throttle piece was installed.  That plastic washer was just too big to fit into the housing and I could not figure out its purpose and assumed it was for another model bike.

I hope this helps and I did not confuse anyone.

·
Registered
979 Posts
MY Rizoma grips also came with 3 throttle adapters. I simply matched the three up to the stock and picked the closest match.

I did have to adjust my throttle cable a little bit to remove some extra slack in the wire.

If you do not receive 3 throttle adapters be sure to check with the place you ordered from.

I ordered mine from CarpiMoto.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
MackDaddy said:
I had no fitment issues at all on my 04 M620i.e. My Rizoma grips came with three different throttle cams. Obvisouly, one fit like a glove.

Feel free to look around on my website (loads of pics.)
Holy crap your bike is C L E A N!! Wow!! Can I ask how long you typically spend cleaning it? Do you have all sorts of brushes to reach into the nooks and crannies? I just spent about 1.5 hrs cleaning mine, and its nowhere near as clean as yours. I do however put over 1000 miles/month on mine. Nice bike!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ash said:
two questions:

1) are the rizomas much thicker in diameter than stock?  how much if so?

2) is the inside part that's just metal and concave uncomfortable?  looks kinda...

thanks!
Ash,

Not uncomfortable at all in the little time I've had them on. Of course, riding with gloves on everytime I ride. Bare handed might be a bit akward, but otherwise they're nice. They are thicker than stock in diameter.

Jim

·
Registered
646 Posts
pompetta said:
Holy crap your bike is C L E A N!!  Wow!!  Can I ask how long you typically spend cleaning it?  Do you have all sorts of brushes to reach into the nooks and crannies?  I just spent about 1.5 hrs cleaning mine, and its nowhere near as clean as yours.  I do however put over 1000 miles/month on mine.  Nice bike!! [thumbsup]
Pompetta,

Can you say "garage queen?"  ;D [thumbsup]

I just bought this bike late last November, so it's only got approx 170 miles on it. Cold Ohio weather limits my ride time in the winter. I'm sure as spring and summer rolls around, she won't look this clean at all. Well, maybe. I am a bit of a clean freak when it come to my little Italian beauty!  ;D

Thanks for the comps.

Jim

Edit: as to your original question: How long does it take to clean? What, I'm not supposed to be in the garage every night tinkering / cleaning? Whoops! Heck, I've already got 10+ coats of Finsh First on the tank & seat cowl!!  [laugh]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rizoma grips not playing well with M620

Greetings, new to the group. In the process of renovating a 2003 620 Dark i.e. Purchased Rizoma sport grips and on the throttle side I'm running into a problem I've seen in this and other threads and wondering if there is more recent guidance.

As you can see in the attached pictures, the OEM throttle tube has a flange that fits into a groove in the throttle housing that provides stability. The Rizoma grip does not have such a flange, which in and of itself is not a big problem, but the slot in the Rizoma grip is not quite wide enough, so when it is mounted in the throttle housing, the fit is so snug that the throttle tube will not rotate in the housing (I have tried this with and without the cam attached, and the problem is definitely the width of the groove, and not a factor of the cam).

The alternative seems to be to only place the adapter about 2/3 of the way onto the splines at the end of the throttle and therefore leave a small gap that creates a de facto flange like the original throttle. However, that flange is not as wide and therefore sturdy as the OEM, and, by not pushing the adaptor all the way on, that creates potential for lateral stress on the splines/adapter and the potential for it to wear out over time. Am I missing something? Is there another way to make this work? Only option I haven’t resorted to yet because I don’t want to alter the throttle housing would be to sand down the outer and inner edges to try to create more space for the tube to rotate, but it doesn’t seem it should come to that. Interestingly, it is only the half of the housing where the throttle cable enters that the tube sticks and won't rotate. The other half of the housing is fine and the tube rotates with no problem.

Any other approaches anyone has tried that do not involve sanding at this point?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts