Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Rizoma grips

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SparePart 
#1 ·
I have just got my Rizoma grips. There seems to be a issue with the grips not working correctly with my throttle assembly. It is rubbing and It appears there is not enough clearance between the throttle assembly and the grip.

Has anybody else had this issue? What did you do to fix it?

It looks like if i ground down the top half of the throttle assemble it would work (but don't really want to do that)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
The bracket the grip slides into (like a gear) is too wide and the throttle sticks? That's what was up with mine. I used my dremel and did a little light grinding to thin it out and allow clearance. I just did a little grinding, then test fit it until it was right. Works perfect now. The other thing I didn't like was the gap between the grip and the bar end after it was installed, so I ended up re-drilling the guide hole in the bar and moving the assembly over 3/8".

Hope it helps a bit.

SP

#4 ·
how many pieces came with your grips?
(2) grips
(3) cams
(1) washer of sorts

Dave, I assume your bike would have the same throttle assembly mine had I don't know why it would work on your and not mine.

Looks like what SparePart said would defiantly work but What the F@#K it should work without grinding.

I emailed Rizoma in Italy to see what the hell is up with it. (wonder if I will hear anything) I had bought them at PJ's but I don't think its his problem looks like a manufacturing issue.

#5 ·
Yeah, you would think it would work without grinding, but I tried everything I could think of and did a search on here and that was the result I came up with. Once it's done, though you'll never know the difference and it works as well as stock.

SP

#7 ·
I believe its the Cast of the throttle assembly that is the issue but I believe Rizoma needs to add a bigger gap between the gear and the grip. This would explain why some people have no problem and other do. (is the inconstancy of the cast)

#8 ·
srussell said:
I believe its the Cast of the throttle assembly that is the issue but I believe Rizoma needs to add a bigger gap between the gear and the grip. This would explain why some people have no problem and other do. (is the inconstancy of the cast)
That's what was wrong with mine. The throttle cable housing was too wide and rubbed against the grips. A couple passes with a flat metal file on the throttle cable housing and it worked fine.

#9 ·
Ok, this is the trick with fitting these grips!

it may seem a little un-orthodox, but it works.

I found that clearance was an issue too. the metal bit of the rizoma grip was rubbing on the body of the throttle assembly, and it would stick. I didnt want to grind or modify the assembly so this is what i did......

Find yourself a C sized battery. It is the perfect size to fit in the outside end of the grip.
To solve this problem, you need to slightly slide the plastic inner of the grip out towards the throttle end so the gap is big enough to fit in the throttle assembly.

1. get your C sized battery.
2. Stand it up on a hard surface.
3. Sit the grip (bar-end end down) on the battery.
4. Hold the battery and grip tightly and firmly together, now tap them down on the hard surface (eg bench). This action will force the plastic inner to move up, increasing the size of the gap between the end of the aluminium part of the grip and the black plastic bit. Its pretty tight and will require a few hard hits. It will only move a little bit at a time. Keep doing this until the gap is big enough to fit in the assembly. Test it between hits to see when it fits.

Hope this works for you. I should have taken photos of my 'procedure' [cheeky], as i have heard this is a common problem with these grips.

Oh, and i used the cam that had '2 stroke' written on it. Thats the one that best resembles the oem part.

After this, it was all a perfect fit [thumbsup]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.