Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, is the rizoma adapter needed to mount the rizoma 22mm conical bars to a 696, or will the stock clamps work fine? Any pics, or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just wondering, is the rizoma adapter needed to mount the rizoma 22mm conical bars to a 696, or will the stock clamps work fine? Any pics, or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
I've got the Black Rizoma conicals on mine with the 60mm risers as shown here:

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=264&products_id=491

Made a big difference to my bike,much more comfortable to ride now.
If you want photos of them on my bike i'll get some photos for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there an advantage to the fatter bars? Do they help with vibration. I saw that Ducati has a 696 specific vario bars and wondered about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi WhiteY66.
Please post some photo for me. I would like to change to the 60mm riser and keep the stock bar. I don't want to change the bar because it is so specific of Ducati. Do you think only the riser change could make it as comfortable as also changing the Rizoma bar?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the Black Rizoma conicals on mine with the 60mm risers as shown here:

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=264&products_id=491

Made a big difference to my bike,much more comfortable to ride now.
If you want photos of them on my bike i'll get some photos for you.

Dude! You have a Multistrada? That's so awesome! How do you like it? I test rode one a few weeks ago (an 08 1100s) and felt that maybe something was wrong with it as it didn't rev very easily. It was completely stock (engine and performance wise) and had a lot of miles on it for an 08. Nonetheless, it was a great handling bike, and it rides so well. I'm such a fan of those bikes! They're so "different" looking, but they're just fun as hell to ride.

Anyway, regarding the rizoma bar and whatnot, did you also get the rizoma grips to match? I ordered some driven d3's and the look is the exact same as the rizoma grips. Are there any performance or fitting issues with the driven grips over the rizomas?

More pics of your multi would be great, I'm such a fan of those great bikes!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dude! You have a Multistrada? That's so awesome! How do you like it? I test rode one a few weeks ago (an 08 1100s) and felt that maybe something was wrong with it as it didn't rev very easily. It was completely stock (engine and performance wise) and had a lot of miles on it for an 08. Nonetheless, it was a great handling bike, and it rides so well. I'm such a fan of those bikes! They're so "different" looking, but they're just fun as hell to ride.

Anyway, regarding the rizoma bar and whatnot, did you also get the rizoma grips to match? I ordered some driven d3's and the look is the exact same as the rizoma grips. Are there any performance or fitting issues with the driven grips over the rizomas?

More pics of your multi would be great, I'm such a fan of those great bikes!
I wish,no that photo is from the site I bought my parts through.
I've only got a lowly 696 :) .
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow and post them up for all to see.
Regarding the grips,i've only got a crappy looking pair of Pro-grips that the previous owner fitted.I'm getting the black with red Pro-Grip 717 GPs next week hopefully.I don't like the Rizoma grips much,I like a full soft grip. The Rizomas tend to be 1/3 metal, plastic or whatever it is where your hand goes and I don't like that.They look good but they are not practical enough for me.
One thing to note when mounting higher handle bars,is that you usually have to adjust your steering stops so the switchgear won't hit the tank.You loose a little bit of steering angle,but the comfort improvement more than makes up for it.
You also need to check your throttle cable routing to make sure it doesn't open your throttle slightly on full left hand lock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FYI- according to Rizoma, the 42mm riser works on the M696 and the 60 does not

jeff h
monsterparts.com
Well according to me and my bike,they do fit :) ,i've had them on there for over 5 months.
Maybe Rizoma don't know how to adjust steering stops and position cables correctly?
If the 42mm riser is used,the switchgear fits into the recess for the air intake on the tank panels on full lock.With the 60mm risers the switchgear will touch the top of the tank panel.A slight adjustment on the steering stop fixes this.

Fitting these bars is not just a matter of bolting them on,you need to do a lot of careful measuring,checking and drilling to get the switchgear exactly in the right spot.The switchgear have location pins on them that should not be removed because the 2 halves of the switchgear do not provide sufficient clamping force to prevent switch rotation.

If anyone wants a rundown how I did it just let me know.
I'll try to get those photos up today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi WhiteY66.
Please post some photo for me. I would like to change to the 60mm riser and keep the stock bar. I don't want to change the bar because it is so specific of Ducati. Do you think only the riser change could make it as comfortable as also changing the Rizoma bar?
The Rizomas have a different bend than the standard bars,they are swept back further.
At first I didn't like them like this because I was used to the flatter bend standard bars.
But after one ride I could really notice the difference,it was much much better.
I put my intial thoughts on the swept back bars down to riding a lot of dirt bikes which typically have straighter wider handlebars for better control in the rough stuff.
But on a beautiful handling road bike like this,they were perfect.

Also realise that everyone is different,so what I love,you might hate.
One trick I use is to sit on the bike while it's on a stand,close your eyes and place your hands where you think they should be on the handlebars.Now open your eyes without moving and see where your hands are in relation to the standard bars.Do this several times to make sure you get an accurate result.
Works for me everytime.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would be interested in the procedure.mostly about drilling

Thank you
No worries.
I just wrapped some insulation tape on the area where the controls sit on the bars then screwed the controls lightly to the bars when I had them in the right position.This will leave an indentation in the tape where the locating dowels are.
Then remove the controls and centre punch in the center of the indentation.Make sure the drill size matches the locating dowel and that you only drill as deep as you need to,not right through.The less drilling the stronger the bars will be,then remove the tape and fit the controls.

Just make sure you have the bars in exactly the right position before you drill any holes and also check for clearance from the tank at full steering lock on both sides with your controls fitted on the tape.You can make small adjustments on your steering stops but just remember that this will affect you turning circle.
If you need any further info,just ask.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i would be interested in the procedure.mostly about drilling

Thank you
No real need to drill. The holes are there for consistency in the assembly process so that they all come off the line the same. They stay in place just fine without, so just use a dremel to remove the assembly tabs on the controls.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No real need to drill. The holes are there for consistency in the assembly process so that they all come off the line the same. They stay in place just fine without, so just use a dremel to remove the assembly tabs on the controls.
The LH control will turn on the bars if you remove the dowel.It may be there for assembly reasons,but it also keeps the control in place.The clamping force of the controls isn't enough to prevent them from moving.
I checked this out before drilling the holes in my new bars,I drilled the hole bigger in my original bars then clamped the control back on.With the screws fully tightened it moved quite easily.I checked the bar size of the Rizomas with a micrometer and it was exactly the same size as the originals.
I can move my left control ever so slightly even with the drilled holes,so if I knocked the dowels off I would have had problems for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No worries.
I just wrapped some insulation tape on the area where the controls sit on the bars then screwed the controls lightly to the bars when I had them in the right position.This will leave an indentation in the tape where the locating dowels are.
Then remove the controls and centre punch in the center of the indentation.Make sure the drill size matches the locating dowel and that you only drill as deep as you need to,not right through.The less drilling the stronger the bars will be,then remove the tape and fit the controls.

Just make sure you have the bars in exactly the right position before you drill any holes and also check for clearance from the tank at full steering lock on both sides with your controls fitted on the tape.You can make small adjustments on your steering stops but just remember that this will affect you turning circle.
If you need any further info,just ask.
smart trick man...i had something else in mind..but i find your way easier...rizoma risers 60mm will be in my hands this week....fatbar i have,80 cm length....i am praying that everything will be ok with the cables length...i ll post photos when i am ready...........THANKs again for the tip

·
Registered
5 Posts
the 22mm bars fit, the conical tapered bars need the adapter (they are fatter in the middle)
part # is AZ402B

jeff h
monsterparts.com
hi,i see that you have knowledge about parts and i'd like to ask you something because i have a ploblem...i order the conical fatbar with his adapters from a store here in Greece form my M696 and they gave me this part [riz-MA005B] handlebar and this part [riz-AZ405B] adapters.are they the right ones for the 696?or they gave me the wrong pairs and i should ask for part # is AZ402B and an other fatbar?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts