Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dealer installed my barend caps but I'm having issue putting it back on after I took it off to adjust it.When I screw it back on it doesn't get tight anymore not sure what I'm doing wrong. The bar is the stock bar for a Ducati monster 1100. Also when i took out the barend there was only a cone spacer at the end of the screw and the screw.

I think the end cap and rubber fell off inside the handle bar. Will it be easy to fish it out?

·
Registered
241 Posts
If they are like my Rizoma's there should be a rubber spacer that expands when you tighten the screw and secures the mirror. They will come with several thicknesses to cover a variety of bar inside diameters. Is it possible you have a smaller than required spacer installed?? You did not mention the rubber spacer so the other option may be that it was overtightened to the point that the screw completely went through the rubber and the rubber is now inside your bar.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Would it be easy to remove the rubber from inside the bar?
I think you could probably blow it out from the other side if you have determined that is the problem, or fish a wire into the bar. When not expanded the rubber is smaller than the inside bar diameter so it should come out easily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a closer look and the end cap that was holding the rubber and the screw came off and the rubber is too tight for me to grab by hand to pull out. I'm not sure what to use to take out the rubber. Both side are the same

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
You probably over-loosened prior to pulling off the caps leaving the hardware inside your bars. Try using a coat hanger or similar piece of bendable wire to fish out the parts from inside the bar.

[edit]
Wait, just thought of something. Try to screw the bolt without the endcap into the hardware inside the bar. If you can get enough of the thread to connect you should be able to simply pull everything out without any effort. If the bolt wont reach try a longer bolt of same diameter/thread. If this still doesn't work then try my prior suggestion.
[/edit]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't fish out the parts because the rubber is blocking me from the endcap. The rubber is really tight in there and on the other side the same thing happen. So I think I have to cut the rubber or try to find something that fits in the little rubber hole and try to pull it out. I will post a picture of what I mean.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, you're gonna have fun with this one. I did the same thing (on one side) once. The nuts on the back side of the rubber spacers have likely fell off the rubbers.

You're definitely going to have to try to put a large wood screw in there (like is on the end of those vinyl covered garage hooks) and gently try to pull it out - but before you pull, spray some WD40 in there to help ease it out.

Still getting the nuts outta there is tricky. I eventually gave up, took my handlebars off, and used a piece of aluminum wire (bendable, but stiff - could also use a strand of copper 12-2 or 14-2 wire) to push UP from the bottom, using the help of gravity to allow the nut to fall out once I nudged it into proper position to come back down through the narrower end. I think I spent a good 30 minutes just nudging that nut with the wire.

Now, lesson learned - do NOT completely remove the screws on the end caps - EVER. And use the metal bushings instead of the rubber ones. They actually held MUCH tighter (in the Rizoma bars, anyway).

Have fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I got it out. I used a screw driver that was tight in the rubber and pulled it out that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts