Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just put a set of Jese risers on my 696. After install, I noticed the bars can move a little up and down when pushing on bars. It appears as if the flex is happening on the bottom bar holder, the one that the riser fits into. It is almost like the bars are mounted on rubber bushings. I looked in my manual, and it shows a spacer that is between the holder and the top triple. They are under the bracket, so you cannot see them. if it is rubber, that would explain the flex.

Could someone help me and reassure me that the stock bars do the same thing? Just sit on the bike and push down on left side then right side of bar. See if there is an 1/8" play up and down.

My fear is that there is now increased leverage now that the bars are higher, and it is exaggerated. I fear that pitching it into a corner and they will flex, causing too much input..or I could be paranoid!

Anyone else with similar issue?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just put the riser on my 1100 and had the first ride. There is a little more play than there was before and as you mentioned is due to the additional leverage.
Not an issue during riding.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Did either of you find that a riser put excess stress on the cables? It appeared to me that they were not long enough to work with a riser without straining them.
And yes - on my 2009 696 there is barely noticeable play as you described it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The only one in question on the 1100 is the throttle and you need to flip it over so the position is the same as the 696. I had the first ride with the riser installed the other day and everything was fine. I do get a slight increase in RPM when I turn the bars all the way to the right so I will be looking into that further. I don't think you could go any taller with the riser without changing some cables/wiring though. I am waiting for my comfort seat and all should be good!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I have not been able to discern is whether or not the stockers do the same. I guess I could put the bars back to stock, but.....

Can someone check out their stock bars for play?

I now realize the bars are rubber mounted ( thanks ), however I need to know how much of the play is due to the increased leverage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't that basically negate the bar risers?

If you raise the bars 3/4" and then raise the seat 3/4", isn't your upper body pretty much in the same position???
I see where you are going with this....

The risers are actually 1.25" higher and they bring the bars more toward the rider also. The comfort seat is about .75" higher.The benefit of the seat is increased leg room and also stops the dreaded slide into the tank.

I think the overall ergo benefit is better for taller riders....

·
Registered
241 Posts
At a recent motorcycle show I was able to sit on the comfort seat for the first time and realised that it was a nice change and one that I would do for sure. I did the riser swap in preparation for the additional seat height. I agree that the seat will negate some of the positional change due to the risers, but the ability to move back a bit, as well as not crush my nuts on the tank, will be worth it. I am 6 foot tall and my knees fit the tank sides better with the comfort seat than the stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts