Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a repost, but I searched and couldn't find anything of consequence.
I recently purchased my monster used not from a dealer.
I took my 2005 S2R Dark to my local dealer to get an inspection. (Still has 6 months of warranty).
When I took it in, he noticed that there we ripples in the leg cut outs of the plastic tank. I had noticed them myself when I bought the bike and asked the previous owner about them and he said they'd been there pretty much since new and never thought anything about them.
However, while I was standing there in the service area of the dealer, the head mechanic noticed them and said, “Did you notice this warping? It shouldn’t be like that!”. Then while I was standing there, he pulled out his cell phone, called the local Ducati rep and within 10 seconds he was ordering me another tank under warranty.
I think that the only reason the warping was noticed was because the head mechanic was going to do some under warranty rear brake bleeding for me. I don’t think that anyone else would have seen the ripples as anything to worry about.
So if you’ve noticed and small ripples in the tank, and you’re still under warranty, get it checked out. The dealer also told me that a GT 1000 also got a new tank recently for the same reason.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I haven't noticed any but I'll look closer.

It sounds like you have a good shop. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Rockwell Cycles in Fort Montgomery NY, is my dealer.
So far they have been great.
They actually let me hang out while they worked on my bike, which was awesome. I hepled Nick bleed the brakes, not a big deal, but a nice change. They also answered all my stupid questions and did a few other bits and pieces like bridge my disconnected clutch switch. All this and they were still very reasonable with the labor charge. It all helped me get even more familar with my monster.

FYI, The attached photo shows the ripples in the tank. Although not as obvious as they are in person.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic. That warping looks like sh!t. Joe public (rider or not) can not help but stare at us on our bikes and at our bikes when parked. The Ducati brand has an aura that can not be ignored. Were I a Ducati sales guy, I'd not want that tank to be perceived as a typical example of Ducati quality. "Swap that sucker out - we have a bad enough time overcoming past quality perceptions".

Very cool deal and and even cooler dealer - who was the dealer, BTW? I think we should ALWAYS promote those dealers who do right by us.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Hey, my bike has those waves too. I have an appointment for my 6000 service next week, so I'll let you guys know what they say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts