Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the right side engine cover replacement with something newer. I am considering replacing my old corroded one from my 1995 m900 with something new. What obstacles should I be prepared to encounter. And has anyone experienced any sort of oil leaks from the change. In turn I guess thats my biggest fear, as of right now baby is bone dry. thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What about bead-blasting the old cover, and then have it powder coated any color you want? [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Do you want to replace the engine cover, or just the clutch cover? This being what exactly?

If you're going to pull the enigne cover, yeah, you need to drain the or be be prepared to bath in it.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
If you are going to remove & reinstall a side case then you will need a clutch basket holding tool, torque wrenches, a side gasket (a nice one can be had from Chris at CA Cycleworks) and I would recommend replacing the seal in the case behind the clutch basket. You will not need a puller to remove the gas but a rubber mallet may be handy. You will lose some oil but not a whole lot, however, if you haven't changed oil recently then it would a good time to do so.

If you do good work then you won't have any oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
jarvis said:
this is what i want.
Assuming you really mean enginse side cover...that engine side cover is magnesium...$$$$$ from Ducati.

Desmo Stu's got the right idea...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. and Desmo stu, that magnesium case is a beauty. Perhaps the Maloof brothers will get it for me for X-mas. I mean they gave T.O. a 6 carat diamomd watch worth 50k whats another $500. ;D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
jarvis said:
thanks guys. and Desmo stu, that magnesium case is a beauty. Perhaps the Maloof brothers will get it for me for X-mas. I mean they gave T.O. a 6 carat diamomd watch worth 50k whats another $500. ;D
[laugh] Look into powder coating, waaaaaaaay cheaper than the Mag covers! [thumbsup]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts