Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend and why?

I've got my black modern sporting rifle, pistols, and now getting into shotguns as well. I've decided I'd like to get a rifle. No specific reason and certainly don't need it. Want a nice scope and to be able to reach way out and hit a target. If any hunting occurs it will be for wild hog, no deer.

A friend at work says .270. Another guy says .243. My neighbor says .308 or 30-06. Neighbors friend says 7.62 NATO or 8x57. I woudn't mind a 22/250.

I have no idea about manufacturers or what not. I do know I picked my 40 year old shotgun because it was

A: a Beretta
B: it was gorgeous
c: it looked as clean as a new gun
d: the wood, engraving, and bluing just looked amazing

So as far as the rifle goes I think I would like a wood stock. I want to have pride in ownership. Something with good heritage or could be collectible later on in life. Quality. Remington 700, Winchester Model 70. Something like that. I do think factoring in the cost per round is important as well.

Suggestions start now,

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
As with motorcycles, a lot of this decision is from the heart. What do you like? Do you want a semi-auto, or bolt action, or even a lever action? Any of those calibers will do the job just fine. Pretty much everything out there works well and is of good quality.

Try shooting as many different rifles as you can -- make the investigation a fun part of the hobby itself. Find a caliber you like to shoot. Personally, I'm fond of the good old-fashioned 30-06, and the 7.62 NATO. Your options run all the way from things like an 1895 Mauser, or Moisin-Nagant -- up to an M-1 Garand, or an FN-FAL -- over to various standard hunting rifles.

Everyone else can quibble about which one is best on paper. Nobody else can tell you what will fit you best and tickle your fancy most.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have clarified that bolt action is the requirement this time.

I've considered the SOCOM 16 M1A a few times but just not what I'm looking for at the present.

Something BSA would be fun to stay motorcycle themed. M1 Garand has been on my short list for a while now. I do have a soft spot for old military stuff. I walked a gun show today and was amazed I left with nothing but the stamp on my hand. There was something I almost bought just for the case it came in. IIRC it was a Mauser German build 1944 8x57. The wood case was fantastic and the whole thing was NOS. I was a touch concerned it might have been a fake or something so I walked on.

Went shooting the AR15 the other day, I ended up with a Windham Weapons R20GVTA4S-7 M16 clone. Set up about 100yds out and was a little disappointed as the land owner wouldn't let me sight in a brand new gun from 25-50yds. With binoculars I couldn't even tell if we were hitting the target. I realized right away I needed color changing targets.

The land owner went in and got a .308 with a big ol scope and said fire this a few times. What fun. I could see the target. I could see when I hit it too. Something just sexy about working a bolt action.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would recommend an M1A. I got the SOCOM II, which is a great rifle that has never once failed me. My reasoning for this one is that the SOCOM II's gas system was specially modified for the short barrel, where the SOCOM 16 was essentially just chopped. Changing stocks is easy too, just pull the trigger group out (no screws) and slide the stock off, so you can go from "Scary" pistol grip to "Socially acceptable traditional wood" in just a few seconds. If I had to do it again though, I might consider the M1A Scout Squad, which is the shortest barrel available without the gas system being modified. Then if I was made of money, I'd buy the Juggernaut Stock for it (I thnk they call it the rogue stock now), so I had an M1A Bullpup rifle... good for hunting any kind of game, takes .308 and 7.62x51(essentially the same thing anyway) and in the zombie apocalypse you can pick ammo up out of abandoned Military and Police Caches. Put a leupold 1x-4x scope and you have a rifle that's both fast, and can reach out and touch something, and with the short bullpup stock it'd still be easy to clear rooms in the zombie apocalypse.

I also have a remington 700... it's allright too, also in .308 because I hate stocking more than one type of ammo.

http://www.jtactical.com/rogue

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Remington's quality has slipped in the last decade. That combined with the 597 .17hmr fiasco has me in the "anti-Remington" camp. Look at the Savage short action Model 10/12, the Accutrigger is off the chain and they are a good value. My .308 has been a tack driver out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thoughts on Winchester Model70 featherweight exhibition maple in 270, 300, or 30-06? I've really fallen hard for it.

Locally there is a sweet tactical factory built Remington 700 in 300 built like an M24 sniper rifle with scope for $1,300 it's pretty sweet.

They are both the same price.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you like to shoot I'd suggest buying something in a military or NATO round so you can buy cheap ammo. If you think you might want to eat that hog stay away from 22-250 as its a meat destroyer, though it can really reach out. .270 is a great all around choice that has nice usable range, though it can be pricey to shoot unless you load. .308 or 30-06 are both great all around choices.

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got myself a Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag with a cheap Bushnell 4-12x40 scope already mounted, as well as bipod that clips to the front sling swivel. I have no complaints about the scope as I can really zoom in from a long way out and it's crystal clear. Not sure how well it will perform but hey it was already included.

It would appear from the softly stamped "AR" that it could be a 1980 build but the fleur de leis stock says pre-1972 from some of the information I could gather. None the less, I'm stoked.

Walked into a well stocked pawn shop and said pull down some 270, 300, 308 with wood stocks for me. A couple minutes later there are 4 rifles laid out for me. All were good choices but nothing really pulled at the heart strings. He put them back and started showing me brand new modern synthetic rifles. I happened to notice a BDL in the mix and I asked him why he hadn't showed it to me. Replies "it's 7mm and you told me what to get down for you". Fair enough. He pulls it out and it was gorgeous and $700. Then I noticed a few things. The iron sights had been removed and the screw holes poorly plugged with the old screws. The scope was mounted on a Weaver tactical rail drilled and tapped over the receiver bolt and done without much love. Then I finally noticed a section of finish missing from the stock about the size of a quarter, just superficial and not into the wood. I stared at it. If it had been in perfect shape I would have paid the full $700 in an instant. The guy could tell what I was thinking and said to make an offer, any offer. I came back at $400 because I would have rather spent more money on an even cleaner version. He looks at me and says "$400 it is". Damn.

So now I've got my hunting rifle. From what I can tell it seems that the 7mm Mag is quite a beast. I read that it is a really hot load that reaches way out there and does it relatively flat compared to other bullets.

I'm all for feedback about 7mm as I know nothing and would have walked on by had the price not been astronomically low.

So now on to antique military weapons to keep Phil happy. I see Mosin Nagent for around $300 new in cosmolene at just about every shop in town. Price is right. M1A could be on my list. Also, it's time for sniper rifle suggestions. Remington 700 Target Tactical is calling my name as well as a rebuilt Remington 700 M24 US bring back surplus rifle. I'm just not quite sure I want to drop $3k on a rifle yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phil you love the antique military stuff. Today I was killing a minute in a pawn shop and they had a Mauser 1891 Argentino, I believe I recall it saying on the barrel made in Germany. $200. No modernizing or sporter work done. I'm considering it. Any good? I love how the spring kicks the bolt back when I opened it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh boy, here goes. If you want an 800 meter gun, the .308 is nice, ammo is plentiful, there is tons and tons of load data on that round and many many bolt guns to choose from. The Remington platform is a reasonable place to start. There are good and not so good ones but generally, for the money they are reasonable and after market parts are readily available if that is a direction you want to go. The 6.5 Creedmore is a 1000 to 1500 meter round. It shoots further with more efficiency, less recoil and more terminal ballistics than all those rounds mentioned above. It is balistically superior in every way. The 140'ish grain bullet seems to be the best all around. It is now common enough to be found with all the major rifle manufactures'. The ammo is a touch more costly, generally, than .308. Way cheaper than 7mm. You should average about a buck a round.
Scope mount: Get the Larue QD. You will not regret it. Make sure you put a solid one piece rail on the receiver to accommodate the scope mount.
Scope: Yikes the criteria are endless. My two cents. Go with a milradian reticle. It is much easier to work with metric and milradian if you intend to shoot long range. As for power, 5 x 25 and up is generally acceptable. I've never been on the line and thought to myself, gee I have way too much power. Discerning a target and shooting a target are two different things. It's nice to have that much power. Personally I have a 4 x 28. Reticles are very personal. Horus makes a very busy yet useful reticle. Some like simple cross hairs. Most long range shooters prefer some sort of grid for wind, distance calibration/estimation.
The rifle and scope are just the beginning of this pursuit. Everything about long rang shooting is expensive: Chronograph, tripod, spotting scopes, range finders, Kestrels, ballistics programs etc..
It is an addiction so beware!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts