Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience riding with a passenger.

1. Is a seat replacement necessary for max comfort? (I have the stock seat.)

2. What will be the major effects on the bike's performance? What can be done to minimize the effect?

3. Any suspension issues?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Tony

My daughter has been the only one on the back of my M800. She says the seat is fine and since she weighs only about 80 lbs the suspension doesn't seem to be an issue. The only thing holding back the performance is me. Used to riding alone the 80 lbs does make a difference in the curves.

I followed a Monster with 2-up in some tight turns last week and they were haulling a$$. Perhaps I'm just not as advanced or competent. :-/

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ride with my wife all the time. She's 115 lbs. and 5 foot nothin' and to answer your questions:

1. She says the seat is alright, you just have to get your ass used to it.

2.The major performance issue is the added weight of the passenger. You have to brake earlier and harder. Turns are more or less the same it just depends on whether or not your passenger is active or not. My wife shifts her body weight with me in the turns and it minimzes the effects of her mass.

3.My 620 Dark has non-adjustable front forks, so I can't help you there. My rear is adjustable for preload and damping, I don't have the wrench for preload so I just adjust the damping which is kinda wrong but works. The manual says it comes 8 clicks out from all the way in, I have mine 5 or 6 clicks out with her on the back and it seems to be alright. Keep track of how many clicks it takes to get to all the way in. Mine was set up soft at 14 clicks, so use the number that you get as a base-line set up.

The only other problem we have ran it to is the fact that the extra weight reduces your cornering clearence, so have fun grinding your pipes and pegs :eek: :eek: :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode with my wife for the first time, about an hour ago. I was shocked she even asked, so on went my old snowmobile helmet and away we went. She had never ridden before and wasn't prepared for the whole "leaning" thing. I think she had fun, but not sure. Also found myself sitting on the tank! :eek:
I guess I'll have to get her a 620 to ride!
To answer your question, If you don't ride far or frequently with a passenger, I'd say leave the susspension alone. You probably won't be pushing the limmits, anyway.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you want to go fast, crank up the rear preload to achieve the proper sag settings with your passenger on the bike. Here's proof that you can go fast with a passenger (Susie and Bruce Meyers of BCM Motorsports at a track day at Mosport):

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You think THAT's something.... you should see the video!

There was a link around a while ago to a video taken of Bruce and Suzie from a following bike. Suzie was aggressively leaning off with Bruce in the corners! They were picking off solo riders!

I bugged Suzie to put the clip on the BCM website, but I fear that modesty precluded it :'(

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have ridden pillions up to 140 lbs and the braking issue takes a little getting used to but is not to serious. What caught me out was when 140lbs hopped off the back after the ride and almost launched me like a cruise missle with a Davida warhead ;D. As to seat comfort I haven't gotten any complaints, but the longest ride with a pillion has only been 1.5 hrs. The biggest comfort issue is mine caused by a lack of footroom when the back seat's feet slide forward till their heels catch the peg. It's tough to convince them to ride on the balls of their feet.
All in all it's no tourer, but not to bad for a wee hoon about with a chickie 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just want to add a comment regarding riding with a passenger. regardless of what experience the passenger says they have, i always share what _my_ preferences are for taking them along:

- do NOT smack my helmet to get my attention
- DO tap my shoulder
- do NOT get on/off the bike without making sure i know you're doing so (you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll fall over if your right foot is on the peg for example, and your passenger decides to mount from the right without telling you so!)
- do NOT stand on the pegs while riding or dramatically shift your weight without warning
- if i'm turning right, look over my right shoulder. if i'm turning left, look over my left shoulder (this ensures that they're leaning with you so you can preserve your cornering clearance). do NOT lean _away_ from the bike while cornering... this leans the bike further than if they're leaning into the turn and risks touching down hard parts.

that's pretty much it. sounds strict and boring, but making sure your passenger has an understanding of what you need them to do will make the ride better for both of you. not only will it give you more confidence in their behaviour/predictability, but it'll make them feel more confident/secure knowing they can help you ride better!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I rode a bit with an old girlfriend and I discovered that starting from a stop on a hill can be super hard!! If you've done this, you know what I mean. If you haven't, you'll find out!

It helped me to push my arse all the way back to where the seat seam is. That way my passenger wasn't inadvertantly sliding over that seam and trying to displace me from my seat! Again, you will experience this and know what I mean.

If you are going far, work out a signal or two for things - stop at the next rest stop for me to pee/stretch my legs/yell at you for passing/etc - is one example!

Givi makes some luggage that mounts behind the passenger and some models even have an available backrest which I'm told is very helpful for the passenger. As it happens, I have that piece of luggage for sale in the classifieds section!
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...isplay_db_button=on&db_id=314&query=retrieval
Miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts