Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Been a member for a looong time, but just got back on a Duc. Bought it in NY and the owner kept his plate. Im itching for a ride, but it hasnt been registered or titled in VA yet. What kind of a ticket would I be looking at if I get caught "test-riding" it in the neighborhood??

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Howdy,

Been a member for a looong time, but just got back on a Duc. Bought it in NY and the owner kept his plate. Im itching for a ride, but it hasnt been registered or titled in VA yet. What kind of a ticket would I be looking at if I get caught "test-riding" it in the neighborhood??
You'll get a ticket, not sure which type but it'll be a serious one. Aside from the ticket the cop will probably tow you as it's not legal to be on public roads without a plate.

I got stopped once for expired registration. He said if I can renew it on the side of he road on my smart phone he'll let me go. If I had any unpaid tickets or anything that makes my reg non renewable(like unpaid child support), it won't let me renew unless those are paid and reported to the dmv and that could take days. Lucky I had no such thing and I renewed it on the side of the road and he let me go.

Moral of the story, don't ride withou plates.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That's going to depend on your area. Probably half of the sportbike riders in New Orleans are riding around with no plates or temp tags that expired 2 years ago because they don't want to pay the registration taxes. Cops hardly ever bother to stop them because they know those guys will just run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A temp paper tag from the DMV can be picked up alot easier than asking forgiveness from a cop on the side of the road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In Georgia as long as you have a Bill of Sale you have 30 days to get a Tag. In the mean time you ride with no tag. You do need to have insurance though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts