Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of posts on riding with earplugs, and it seems the consensus is that it is hugely beneficial. What I am wondering, is if you were to use a set of noise isolating earbuds (the type that conform to and fit in your ear just like an earplug, like this ) and listened to music at a reasonable level, would this still help prevent hearing damage? I would think it would, since despite them playing music, they still block the wind noise. Anyone here ride with something like this?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Hi-Fi-Noise-Reducing-Buds-Black/dp/B000IG66VS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_s9_rk?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&s9r=8a585b4314f36a4401152b0634270888&itemPosition=1&qid=1204836881&sr=8-1

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I have a set that's similar from Senhauser (sp?).

Compared to the foram ear plugs, they do not block out much noise. It's better than nothing, but not much. I am in ther process of getting a set of stereo earplugs from these guys:
http://www.bigearinc.com/Products/Catalog.aspx

As background, I ride with foam ear plugs ~80% of the times. When I get bored (typically on the superslab ont eh way home) I'll switch to the ear bus you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I run a similar sony earphone. It helps with noise maybe brings it down below "damage" levels. But they are nothing compared to the 35dB foam plugs I use for all other purposes.

I also ONLY ride with headphones when I'm commuting/slabbing. When I'm hitting the twisties I like to be concentrating on the road, not music or wind.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'd say that sure it would help with preventing hearing loss as long as the music is not louder than the wind/engine noise.

BUT the down side is you are blocking out ALL road noises such as honking, tires screeching etc........ after blocking them out then you are drowning them out with the music....

Lots of people ride with earphones in and I have thought about it and planned to do it, even have the stuff to do it. Just seems like I never do it when I get on the bike.
And you know what?
I've never gotten off of the bike and thought "Darn sure did miss not having any music to listen to" Guess while I'm riding THAT is what I'm doing.

Up to you but keep in mind that you may not be able to hear, or not as well, those warning signs from other vehicles or possibly even the screech of your front wheel signaling that it is about to lock-up [thumbsup]

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm surprised they allow responses to a 10 yo thread. :laugh

I use earplugs and should have started sooner.
Because, tinnitus sucks! :|

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have Bose quiet comfort earbuds (noise dampening) that cuts out the higher freq sounds (my QD exbox exhaust sounds very deeper along with all other exhausts)
I get slight ringing/tinnitus in the ears after 30mins of riding otherwise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
foam disposable ear plugs cut the noise and allows me to still hear traffic warnings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts