Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies!!

Well if you haven't already seen the few posts about it by now, I'm pregnant! woo hoo! Anyway, I am about 3 months along, and am starting to get that feeling that maybe it's time to put away the neenja for awhile. Has anyone else been preggo and ridden? How long did you ride for?

Someone on my NW board said it's safe to ride up until 7-8 months but I'm not sure I agree.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Congratulations! [clap]

As far as riding up to 7-8 months? I guess the question is more should you do it, not could you do it. That would have to be a personal decision of the risk you would be taking. When I was pregnant, I was seriously afraid of gaining weight, so rode my bicycle everywhere right up to the end. My doctor was very concerned as to what even a minor fall could mean, and also because your center of gravity shifts and you don't have the same balance you do un-pregnant.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm thinking one more group ride in the next couple weeks and I'm done. I think a few months of non-riding over years of riding after is small potatoes in the long run. I will have plenty of time to ride after the little one gets here.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Congrats!

I know a gal on another moto forum who rode until she couldn't grab the clip-ons anymore (about 7 months.)

I worked with another woman who stopped riding her bicycle after 4 months on her doctor's recommendation.

So I dunno...

I see your personal crash ticker is at 10 days and that you'd only gone a couple of months without crashing prior to that. (May that was someone else?) I'm guessing your crashes probably aren't high speed get-offs and are more like a tip-over in a parking lot--perhaps none of them have been your fault--whatever the reason....Do you really want to take that risk? Even if I hadn't crashed in 10 years of riding, I wouldn't ride with a bun in the oven. I'd feel too guilty if something were to happen.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hee, yeah, that crash ticker includes drops in parking lots, after much pushing from my fellow NW DMLers.

It's also a bit out of date

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A Nano Neenja! Congrats girlie! [clap]

I take a couple months off from the DML and I miss all the action!

As far as continuing to ride, there are just too many unknowns when riding on the street and I don't think I would want to take that chance. Giving it up for a few months is a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things. But as said above, it's all about how much risk you are willing to accept and how prepared you are too deal with the consequences if something, God forbid, were to happen.

I say just enjoy being pregnant and let everyone dote on you instead of worrying about how well your belly will fit on your bike 3, 4 months from now ;D

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Congratulations!

I quit riding right after I found out I was pregnant. That was one "risk" I could easily eliminate. But, I knew a girl who rode until about 4-5 months.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My mother rode until her students (she was a high school art teacher) told her it was SCANDALOUS that she was riding in her second trimester at 41. I'm not saying that it is fine to ride, but I am saying that some women do it. My mother rode for almost 10 years and never crashed. She used it for local transport, and not as a sport or hobby. It was more out of necessity, since she couldn't afford a car right away.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
i'd have to say that if it were me preggo, i wouldn't ride.
it's not worth the risk or the guilt if something were to go wrong.

and besides... your gear won't fit you after a while [laugh]

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I think I'd rather risk crashing than being grumpy and depressed from depriving myself of riding if I were pregnant.

Which I've never been--so maybe that's not a concern when you're expecting.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I think I'd rather risk crashing than being grumpy and depressed from depriving myself of riding if I were pregnant.

Which I've never been--so maybe that's not a concern when you're expecting.
Trust me. You are grumpy when pregnant, so it doesn't matter if you are riding or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts