Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... i've been wanting to go visit some friends over in the West coast (Northern California and then Oregon).... Now, I was going to fly... when someone joked around and said "why dont you just take your motorcycle there"

And man.... i'm really considering it.... I think it would be the ride of a lifetime.... I could go see the Grand Canyon.... drive on Route 66... up the Pacific coast Highway..... etc..

Actually get to see and smell the United States!

Ok.. here's the kicker... i'm in Southern Florida... so as you can imagine... its quite a trek.... but i'm only 23... so I still have a strong back... unlike you old farts..

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My nephew rode his ZX-6 from Monterey, CA to Florida and hated everything from eastern Arizona onward. Riding in the flat country gets old after a while. If you get a bar mounted plexiglas windscreen it would help.

I would have no concerns about the reliability of the Monster if it's in good shape at the beginning. You'll probably want to do an oil change somewhere on the trip.

F

·
0 Posts
I drove a 70 Conv. Vette from New London CT to Washington. I consider that a highlight in my life that I'd repeat. BTW 80 hours solo; 1 speeding ticket.

Go for it! the good memories will outlast the pain and boredom that you will encounter. Besides when you get old you can tell your kids that you rode across the country in the snow both ways. ;D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too would like to make a trip out west, head through the desert, through the mnts. and up the PCH. I'm in Michigan, so it would be quite a ride. My @ss is definitly not making the trip on the stock seat though. It would be fun to plan out a route and take off with a small tent and a couple of changes of clothes, don't get in a hurry and just take in some USA!

When you thinking of going?

M

·
0 Posts
I'm also planning on a trip this summer. After 7 years and 3 major changes, I finally finished my BA a few days ago. My day job wont start for a couple months, so I've decided I'll celebrate with a new Monster and many weeks on the road.

Let's get some more reviews of touring bags, rain suits, Corbin/Sargent seats, and compact camping gear on this board!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sometime in August or so....not really set... i could go anytime this summer....

W

·
0 Posts
Don't forget to bring tools, and print out a list of local Ducati dealers where you will be traveling.

Ducati monster traveling accesories look like they would work. Larger windscreen, soft bags, etc...

I personally would love love to do something like this. You are only young once, go for it!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about Gearing? at 80mph i'm at 5,200 Rpms or so... if i'm going on a long trip... should I leave the stock gearing in? should I go lower? higher?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello:

As luck would have it, I just got back from a two week motorcycle trip on my BMW R1150R. Started off in Colorado. Visited the states of Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and California. An awesome trip, and strongly recommend it. A word of caution. Not sure what your gas range is, but realize the number of gas stations is not as great out "west" as it is back "East". Although I seldom had trouble finding a gas station, I did hit a stretch between Nevada and Oregon where I did not see a gas station for over 200 miles. By the time I finally found a station, my reserve light had been on for about 25miles.

I also prepared a list of things to pack. If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the file. Let me know.

Take care and enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Coqui

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow! cool... thanks for the tips... Morpheus... get as long winded as you want! keep them coming!

coqui... yes... send that file... would love to see it!

teampohracing @yahoo.com

I was fearing the gas issue.... a Monster's tank has only lasted me 100-110 miles before the reserve light came on... usually leaving me with a gallon left in the tank... I would say my range is about 150 miles max......

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Sounds like a blast... if you do it in late August, I might meet you in Illinois, or Missouri, or Kansas... and tag along through Colorado. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good time! I've made some good trips in the car, but have wanted to make a good bike trip for a while. Enjoy it if you go!

PS- Adam, where in MO are you? Do you go to mizzou?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coqui.... I got your email! thanks! it was a HUGE help!

It'd be cool to meet some of you guys on the way... even if it was only for certain stretches......

what about sleeping bags? and camping places? are these camping places common? I see them all the time on I75... but I really dont pay attention that much to them... ar ethey abundant out west as well?

are there any I should avoid?

also, whats the best way to carry extra gas with you.... it seems that the monsters have the smallest gas tanks in the full size motorcycle world

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
One general piece of advice on touring is to pace yourself, especially at the start of the trip. Don't try to do a killer day the first day out, and make sure you leave enough time in your plans that you can stop and smell the flowers without feeling like you've got a deadline.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got 3000 miles on the bike right now.... i know I will put on about 5000 on this trip. Should I do my valves now, before I go? or do them during the trip? or maybe after?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao,

start to look for a good enough sleeping place well before dark.

Tank has great capacity to stop You from doing over long stretches.

Sleeping is good. The camping proposal before are great, do not save on good place to eat and sleep and to be safe.

Standard gearing is ok for the trip. 120 to 140 kms per hour is good enough speed with standard fairing (IMHO with experience).

Flashlight, tape, basic tools for chain adjusting and lubrification etc with You.

Positive attitude.

Life is too short but worth every minute of it -attitude.

Go for it.

Tank bag is great.

Skier

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
For a flashlight, I think this PETZL would be the ultimate travel companion:

It is small, bright, and you can wear it on your head to keep 2 hands free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts