Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all;

After doing a scientific survey ( I looked on youtube and at a couple of magazines ;p) there appears to be two general styles of riding a motorcycle. One style is for the full fairing style bikes; where the rider tries to copy the motogp racers, and one style where the rider sits more upright. Both styles slide their butts and shoulders to the inside of the leaning motorcycle.

On a naked style motorcycle, with much wider handle bars, do you people use the first style or the second?

I find trying to lean forward and to the inside (right hand turns) puts the right hand at an impossible angle for the throttle. Seems the more upright style when using factory handlebars is the best. I could be wrong.
Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most of the full fairing bikes have clip-on handlebars, which pretty much dictate the stance you describe. The geometry is also set up for riding the bike in that position.

A true standard is pretty much the reverse, with a wider more upright set of bars and a riding stance that goes with it.

The Monster is somewhere in between. Call it an aggressive standard if you will.

Best bet is to simply find what works for you and use it. No one has a lock on the "correct" way to ride a bike. You may never be sure that you're doing it "right", but you'll know when you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find my Monster 1100 handles better if I keep the agressive stance. I am able to lean (during corners) more and even the throttle control is much better with less stress on the wrist. However that stance looks stupid when I am doing anything less than 35-40 MPH.

I think monster is definitely more pratical as you can switch based on the speed. It can be what you want it to be, like a motorcycle genie ;D

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
i agree. the "agressive standard" setup is a good one because it allows us to move around. no one position works in every situation. i like to sit up in traffic to see what's going on, normal riding at speed might be a half crouch, and attacking corners i lean forward and to the inside. haven't fallen off yet, so this works for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts