Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on RedRacing rearsets before my first track day since I scraped my boots a few times. That worked fine. However after some time and riding other bikes I came to the conclusion that the rearsets make it a lot harder to move around from a cramped position and effectively defeat the purpose for sport riding.

One problem is specific to the RedRacing, the angle of the biposto piece limits available space for the boot and puts it in an awkward angle if I want the balls of the feet resting on the footpegs. I have low mounts and need the biposto for support.

The second problem is that even for a moderately tall rider (5'10"), the position forced by the setup is not conducive to hanging off, or maybe I'm just not flexible enough. Obviously comfort suffers as well but that's a secondary issue.

So far I raised the ride height by about an inch and lowered the eccentric footpeg as much as possible. I'd raise the height even more but with these rearsets it's as good as it gets, which is not good enough.

For reference I also have clipons.

This is something that makes me really unhappy and has a direct effect on my riding. I'd like to hear people's experiences and solutions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My S4 came with those rearsets. I'm 6'1, pushing 6'2 on a good day and I hate them. I've tried Retro's Cycle Cat rearset-equipped M900, and they're much better, in fact it's uncanny how naturally they fall into place.

Anyways, short of swapping your rearsets with the Cycle Cat ones, here's what I suggest you do and which works to make it easier for myself to hang off: Instead of trying to keep the ball of your outside foot on the peg as you're hanging off, hook your heel into the peg. That way the passenger-peg bracket (or in my case, the high pipes) won't push your ankles outward (in a straight line and with the balls of your feet on the pegs there's not much you can do but to suck it up, waste half the width of the peg and only use the outside inch-and-a-half). Balance your inside foot on the tip of the peg, toes pointing down. Be careful not to slip off - the Red Racing rearsets are terribly slippery, especially on the outside. You might drag some toe, but that's what the sliders on your boots are for, and with the right technique your knee will touch down well before your toes will.

I haven't dragged any hard parts in a while, only knees and toes. And I ride much harder than I used to.

Hope this helps a bit.

-R.

S

·
0 Posts
I ahd those as well too. I swapped to cycleats, and never looked back. I also put more stuffing in my seat to raise my seat height as well, until I got the Cyclecats

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in a straight line and with the balls of your feet on the pegs there's not much you can do but to suck it up, waste half the width of the peg and only use the outside inch-and-a-half).

R

·
0 Posts

just a note if you look just in front of the pillion foot peg you will notice an aluminum spool that was lathed so the cans at least on mine could attach to the hanger. On the leo's the attachment point which is over center, would not reach to the c cat hanger. On the plus side they got pulled in and up for more clearance. Hope the photo helps.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've seen spacers that attach between the rearsets and the frame, effectively lowering the peg and moving it back. But that will compromise your low-mount pipes, same as mine. I'm not familiar with what the RedRacing rearsets do for the pipe mount, so maybe it's not a big issue...

I'm still running the stock pegs, and am not very happy with them.
I feel like more rearward would be nice, lower (gasp!) for more legroom would be nice too, but mostly narrower. It's a nice, narrow bike with big 'ol wide pegs. Feels wrong to me. I can't comfortably fold my legs any more than is necessary for the stockers, I'm 6'1", so higher is definitely not an option. I have yet to drag any hardware, so lower and narrower seems OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts