Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving to SoCal (near palmdale or victorville, dunno which yet) for a new job mid January. I will be getting a Monster shortly thereafter. However, during my onsite interview I noticed a few things about cagers in SoCal... they drive like crap!

The Monster will be my first bike (have ridden dirtbikes and that's it) and driving around SoCal has me worried bigtime. No one signals or seems to check before switching lanes... watched a guy switch lanes right into a semi... WTF?

How the hell do you guys stay alive while riding in SoCal? Any advice for a newb?

Loren

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
lorenkb said:
I noticed a few things about cagers in SoCal... they drive like crap!
It's not that we drive like crap. We just don't care about anyone besides ourselves when we drive.
I'd say a majority of poor drivers are distracted by phones, txt messages, passengers, music, whatever. That and not checking blind spots. Twice in the last 3 days I've had to emergency stop to avoid getting side swiped. Partially my fault for sitting in someone's blind spot but it's still their job to look over their shoulder. Both of these girls didn't want to mess up their hair or something so they didn't turn their head.

ride like a bunny rabbit.

P

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just means you gotta be more aware when you're on bike since there's a lot less protection than a cage. Never ride directly next to someone and don't tailgate. If you are tailgating, I tend to stay on the left or right side of the lane so that if the car in front of me staddles anything in the middle of the road I don't hit it. Be especially careful at night. I watch the tires of cars around me since that's the first warning that they're gonna switch lanes if they don't signal.

Also, don't split until you're familiar with your bike and the road you're riding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, somehow I think the Meth would only make things worse. [laugh] I'm in Seattle, so I see my fair share of people not paying attention while driving, it just seemed like there was a heck of a lot more in SoCal.

Thanks for all the tips, hope to use them soon.

Loren

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Just remember that everyone's got a cell phone surgically implanted on their ear when they drive.

Oh, and about lanesplitting. It's more than just a job - It's an ADVENTURE!

(Trust me, once you split, there's no going back. Traffic here pretty much forces it.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I grew up in So.Cal,O.C.I have never been in a bike crash,But,I have had several real,REAL close calls,I saw a guy get run over by a tanker truck(lane splitting)I believe,if you ride in So.Cal for 2 years,You can drive anywhere.You really develope a sixth sense,about other drivers,also checking mirrors at stop lights,was almost rearended twice on 22 frwy (rushhour)I found,that,without thinking about it,I always left myself an out.Not to close to the car in front(at stops)Always staying to the left,or right of the lane.I prefer left.NEVER PASS unless you can do so Quickly,and leave yourself an out.I really think it is more than common sense,it is kind of a (STYLE,TECHNIQUE?)you develop over time,I think you must always tell yourself that cars do not see you,no matter where you are(even in front)It might sound like a bunch of stuff,but,a minor crash for a car can crush you. 8)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
OMG!!! The lack of formatting in that reply is killing my retinas. Repeat after me: the spacebar is your friend.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
One is just being lazy and keeps most of the world with a better than fifth grade education from actually reading, the other entices someone to persevere through the forest of grammatical errors, there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
xrobbir said:
It says the same thing either way,D.A. W h a t A w e e n i e !

It's not necessarily about saying....it's about reading, understanding, comprehending.

It would be much friendlier if one was to post up in skillful grammatical artistry.

Try it....WE will like it !

;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I hate you Trojans always showing off your mega-dollar education... [laugh]

Fight on.

darylbowden said:
One is just being lazy and keeps most of the world with a better than fifth grade education from actually reading, the other entices someone to persevere through the forest of grammatical errors, there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
xrobbir said:
I grew up in So.Cal,O.C. I have never been in a bike crash, But, I have had several real, REAL close calls, I saw a guy get run over by a tanker truck(lane splitting)I believe, if you ride in So.Cal for 2 years, You can drive anywhere.

You really develope a sixth sense, about other drivers, also checking mirrors at stop lights, was almost rearended twice on 22 frwy (rushhour) I found, that, without thinking about it, I always left myself an out.

Not to close to the car in front(at stops) Always staying to the left, or right of the lane. I prefer left.

NEVER PASS unless you can do so Quickly, and leave yourself an out. I really think it is more than common sense, it is kind of a (STYLE,TECHNIQUE?)you develop over time, I think you must always tell yourself that cars do not see you, no matter where you are (even in front)

It might sound like a bunch of stuff,but,a minor crash for a car can crush you. 8)
...there you go [thumbsup]

i have a lot of spare time... 8)

ps:happy new year!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Unflinching courage. Definite actions.

Im from philadelphia and the drivers out here are the worst. Alot of them are considerate of motorcyclists but they simply dont look for us. Drive like youre invisible, because you are.

The couple times i let my attention slip ive been rewarded with dangerous situations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the pointers.

And Palmdale/Victorville may not count as SoCal, but where do you think I'm gonna pick up the bike ??? ?

Loren

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
For me...

Loud pipes (for me...straight pipes w/a baffle work... oh, and earplugs too),
Ride faster then the traffic,
Trust your gut,
Split lanes (takes a very little while to get used to it actually...),
ALWAYS assume the most assinine thing someone could do, and plan for it,
And a fair amount of good luck.

You'll do fine, just ditch the stock Duc pipes ASAP! Way too quiet for a cell-phone, SUV, soccer-mom, pumping some latest hip-hop jam to pay attention to a little thing like another human.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts