Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me praise Cycle Cat bar ends and frame sliders, and Vanson leathers.
I was out taking photos on a canyon run, goosed it too much before being upright lost the rear tire and lowsided. Wasn't going too fast, not more then forty or fifty for sure, the turn was fairly tight.
Sara was takin' photo's but unfortunately froze as I went down, so I didn't get any cool pics of the event itself, yep she hates herself now....
Anyways....totally my bad on the lowside. Uh, so I broke the left side mirror, unfortunately expensive DP ones, just scratched the crg lever on the ball end, ground more off my sidestand, ground the shifter and foot peg good, a few minor scratches on the leo vinci can, and broke the frame slider off, but it did it's job before it did. A little dent on the tank where the clip on clamp hit it otherwise nothing. Rode it back down. Sara said I was sliding on my ass and spinning around and around, the whole time I thought I was just sliding straight watching my bike sliding ahead of me, honestly it looked really cool, that's what I remember thinking, and that my butt was getting really hot so I better stop sliding pretty soon.
The Cycle Cat slider and bar ends did their job perfectly and so did the Vanson's. Will post pic's later. Thank you Cycle Cat and Vanson great products! Got any questions on frame sliders, ask me, they saved the day.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear about the fall...I know that there are two kinds of riders:

those that have fallen and those that will fall. I am from the family of previous...will have to post pics of 900ss in heaps.

I have a few questions regarding the sliders if you don't mind.

so when the slider broke off, did you have any problems with the bolt coming out?

as far as repair is concerned with the slider what parts will you have to replace?

did you save your original bolt just to keep the engine in place until you get new parts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Sorry you went down. Glad to hear protective stuff worked. Funny how you seem to be so clearly aware of all that's going on in a slide. I experienced that in my only lowside as a teenager.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Retro, first off, if you would have just stayed here in MN you wouldnt be talking about crashing. You would be talking about your snot freezing and wind burn. Glad to here you are ok man.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Retro, Glad to hear that you are OK, sucks that you low sided though. Glad to hear the gear did it's job. Post pictures when you get a chance.

I am adding sliders before spring. Do you think that swingarm sliders would have protected your cans (not yours but the bikes) or anything else?

Good luck getting back on the road.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Sorry about the downage dude...

I just went on a quick lunchtime ride and was having lots fun... nearly bit it as the rear stepped out a little over some seemingly dry (but really wet) leaves or debris on a corner..

pucker factor: 5/10

wasn't that bad, but could have been worse...

I don't have frame sliders.. but sounds like I could use them.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Glad you are OK REtro, those daymn canyons can bite ya every now and again!

It sounds to me like sliders are a no brainer add'on. My bike is in the shop now, and i'll be getting them put on now that I read this post. It sounds like a lot of damage is prevented by having them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, sorry to hear about the fall...I know that there are two kinds of riders:

those that have fallen and those that will fall. I am from the family of previous...will have to post pics of 900ss in heaps.

I have a few questions regarding the sliders if you don't mind.

so when the slider broke off, did you have any problems with the bolt coming out?

as far as repair is concerned with the slider what parts will you have to replace?

did you save your original bolt just to keep the engine in place until you get new parts
as far as I can tell all I need is the aluminum coupling nut that holds the slider to the stud that goes through the frame, I talked to Alfred and he sent me to Chris at Ca-Cycleworks and Chris has the parts I need. Chris suggested I remove the stud and make sure it is still true. So the nut is $28.00. if I replace everything about $100.00, that and a new c cat foot peg and toe shifter and mirror and all is good. But the foot peg and toe shifter are still funtional I just need to file down the foot peg, it ground off the lip....prolly get crg mirrors if I can make them work with the c cat bar ends as they did there job also....I also need new ce armour for the hips in my Vansons. Thanks for the responses. When people mention it is nice to hear the responses, I can say it is.
I also want to give props to Chris Kelly, he not only said he would bring the parts to the bike show at Long Beach for me he offered to hand deliver the parts if I could not make it. Also he said he would turn (lathe) down the coupling lug as my frame boss is too small oon the left side! Long Live Ca-Cycleworks! I can't say enough about that kind of service. You need somethin' call Chris!
Thanks again Cycle Cat and to Alfred, and also Vanson.
oh and the photo below is right before the uh lowside... :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bummer to hear about this! glad to hear you'll get back on top pretty soon by the sound of things. and to put things in some perspective, be glad it was a low-side instead of a high-side. they're much much much nastier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Strati...yep I'm not lookin forward to the big high one.....I was also lucky to being going up hill which slowed everything down faster.

MonstaS4... my cans really got nothing just a little on the metal plate up front.but I don't think sliders on the swingarm would stick out enough on my bike to save em.....since I have low mounts. I realize now that it was the c cat foot peg that saved the slip-ons!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to hear about your low side Retro, but glad to hear you are okay! :)

So the frame sliders saved the tank, but the clip ons dented it anyway? Are the cycle cat sliders designed to help prevent damage to the tank? Just curious since I have a chromo tank and I dread ever getting a dent in it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sorry to hear about your low side, retro. more important, glad to hear your ass is O.K.! speak to Chris about the mirrors. he sells them and i think CC makes bar ends that will accomedate them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Retro, glad to hear you're OK, I'm also glad to hear that your frame sliders worked, or else you might want back your clutch cover back, and it currently has more holes than metal ;). Seriously, glad everything worked as it was supposed to!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey thanks everyone..thanks Howie good to know about the crg's, I was wonderin about that..answers uh.....yep I had c cat bar ends and they saved my bar and prolly my lever..the frame slider in this case saved my tank completely, it was actually the woodcraft clip-ons clamp that hit the tank in front just a little. It would not normally, but I have SBK forks so I found the Woodcrafts in a rush as they fit the 53mm forks, but with the stock headlight assembly the woodcratfs needed my steering stops all the way in and still they were only a 1/16th" or so away from the tank. they have a pointy shape that lines up too close to the tank.....I am looking for new ones....otherwise I would have had no damage whatsoever to the tank...I actually couldn't believe it. If the frame bolt is still good then the frame slider replacement is only going to be $28.00 for the coupling nut, and $40.00 for the slider. I know there was a thread on sliders before so I just want to say again in my case worth every penny, and so were the bar ends. Thanks Captain that's funny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts