Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If youve got a good connection this is some pretty good video of a ride I did last sun. Its a huge file so dail up should pass.
Maybe this belongs in the clubs forums but you guys who are snowed in can drool.
P.S. if youre in San Diego can you name this road?
http://magictouchsoftware.com/Rides/TECH0012.AVI

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I like the road, but I don't like the lines you took on many of the curves, unless maybe the camera was hanging off of the end of the left handlebar grip.

Just last night I was rereading the section in Proficient Motorcycling (by David L. Hough) on line selection for street riding. Many people preach a late apex for the street, but Hough explains it well enough that he convinced me to change my lines on twisty roads, which made a big difference. Basically the technique involves getting all braking done before the turn, go in wide, take a late apex, and ease on the throttle as soon as the bike starts turning.

There were clearly several corners on that video with an early apex leading to potentially going over the line or into the dirt towards the end of the turn.

I guess I'll have to get a video camera and record one of my rides so that everyone can point out everything I'm doing wrong and where I can improve. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is actually a friend of mine who had the camera on his bike (and it was on the end of the left bar) I was behind him. He is a computer software guy and thats how this vid is up on the net. Im too computer stupid to put that up.
He tends to come in REAL hot and brake too hard, and not carry enough speed through the turn, then he punches it and flies out. It gets kinda frustrating riding behind him cause I have to leave a big space but still get close through the turn untill it straightens out. Then he pulls away. He spends alot of time over 100 I like to stay around 80-90 at the most.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Beautiful road with no traffic. Incredible. At first I thought it was sunrise highway but that's not right. Any hints?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think south county (although Im up in north county)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Personally I think it's a dangerous sport commenting on how other people ride.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Some folks just see a different line than others. Others just have odball techniques that work for them. My Fiancee is a technically perfect skier, but I can kick her ass fast and sloppy all the way to the bottom. Have you ever watched Lee Trevino swing a golf club?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woah, this is starting to sound like that guys crash post. I dont think the line in this video is the best but I will say he rides very fast and is not that easy to keep up with. I have never seen him look out of control. I just wanted you guys to see the cool road and beautifull weather!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lyons Valley Road. Do I get a prize?

If you ride this one don't forget to feed Blackjack at the Lyons Valley General Store. It's good karma.

Good video and good riding. Thanks a million. :)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread...
Sometimes I think these opinions are better off left inside your head. Especially when we can't compare the riders side by side to see who's most effective.
Well I've been on too many rides where people crashed because of poor choice of lines. At least three of those were riding Monsters. The early apex style tends to lead to going outside of the lane when there is just a little too much speed involved. There were one or two examples of that in the video, which is why I brought it up.

Having experienced a crash personally only about three months ago, and still feeling some pain from it every day, I've developed a greater interest in safe riding. However, my crash had nothing to do with choice of lines, since I was going relatively straight at the time.

I'm just trying to get people to examine their riding style and pay attention to the experts, like Keith Code, or David L. Hough. In my particular case, the writings of Hough in Proficient Motorcycling had a big effect on my riding style. I changed the way I handle corners because of it. I feel that I'm a safer rider because of it. I now have many less "panic reactions" (to quote Keith Code) because of it. My goal is to spread the word so that maybe others can increase their safety margins while riding.

As for wheelie shots, now that the Monster is gone, that may never happen, sorry.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lyons Valley Road. Do I get a prize?

If you ride this one don't forget to feed Blackjack at the Lyons Valley General Store. It's good karma.

Good video and good riding. Thanks a million. :)
YOU GOT IT!
Black Jack seemed a bit upset when we were there (he wouldnt shut up) Your prize is a free guided ride (by me) through some of the best roads in the ramona, palomar area (if I can ever get a day off) I would say some of the best secret roads but if you got that one just by watching the video you probably already know all my secret spots.
Well done

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He bought some little clamp-on mount off the net somewhere.
He is not on a monster though, he is on a hybrid cruiser with big wide bars that runs very smooth. I can find out about the mount for you if youd like.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
A guided tour? Dude, I wanted a surfboard!! ;D

We'll definitely have to get together sometime and compare notes on secret spots.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what bike might this be?
A Yamaha Roadstar Warrior with a lift kit and some engine mods. I just sold mine, they are pretty fast and handle much better than any other cruiser, especially when you raise them up a bit. I can blow um away through the tight stuff but in a drag race its real close, 110ft. lbs. of torque at 2500rpm.
Oh, and Sar, I could give you a great deal on a custom board, but the freebie would have to be for something more amazing than that (like talking my wife into letting buy my R1) Hopefully I can ride next weekend.

·
Registered
259 Posts
nice video but....I have to agree with Scott. One to many trips over the double yellow - on blind corners no less. To much speed and/or to slow on the turn in and the bike is all over the place. The lines look to be dictated by the speed as opposed to anything the riders in intentionally doing.

The road is great though.

Posting some fo these videos (crash guy / double-yellow man) and getting feedback is a great learning experience. Maybe the board needs a video section / with rider constructive comments.

I'm been re-reading my various texts since we had snow again this wekeend (no riding for me) looking for any hint on when you would hold the rear brake and hit the throttle in the corner (crash video). No luck so far - other than I had the weight transfer backwards (per Twist II). The rear brake is going to unload the rear (forward weight transfer) and not load it (which is what the throttle is doing), which may explain my the rear broke - not to mention the condition of the tires.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to clear it up, he is not going into on coming traffic, it just looks that way cause the camera is on the left end of his handle bar. I was riding behind him and he was pretty tight on the yellow lines but never crossed over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts