Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gaging interest on riding tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'm gonna yet or not.

Leave from western Fairfax (Herndon/Chantilly area) around 10 or 11.

All paces welcome, but I will be riding very spirited.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Liam said:
All paces welcome, but I will be riding very spirited.
I suddenly got this possibly even goofier image of a rider in a cheerleader's outfit with pom-poms somewhere on the bike. Not that there was anything wrong with the phrasing, just how my mind works I guess...

As for the ride, I was already planning a ride of my own but I'd be glad to have some company for a while, depending on what general direction you go. My goals would be to meet up somewhere outside of FFX, as the pre-Christmas traffic from Fredericksburg North is likely not going to be pleasant, and more importantly I need to end up in Charlottesville in the late afternoon before returning home.

If that sounds workable PM or e-mail is in the profile for details.

In short, conditional *hack* here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DD - I don't think we are gonna be heading that far south. We will def have to get together for a southern tour, but once the days are longer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just re-read my first post, and to clarify that since it wasn't very well-worded. I was originally planning to ride to Sperryville via Culpeper (with a few back roads thrown in) and then down Skyline Drive to the 250 exit to C-ville, but I could alter the first leg of that substantially North if you were planning to go West at all. If that's still outside your intended path so be it, just wanted to throw that out there since the first post wasn't very clear.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
OK, so no interest in Baltimore North, so I'm going out alone at a brisk pace, and then later Gwendy and I are taking the bikes over to the MSF painted parking area of our local high school parking lot.

Her first time on her monster so we're running the Chris' Beginning Advanced But Relaxed and Absolutely No Yelling Fun Happy Pleasant Rider Course.

Which means letting her futz around on her own bike while I wait for questions and try to not be overly helpfull.

C

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Did drills for an hour at the local high school lot on the MSF paint.

Gwendy is getting much more confident at starting. She never gave the bike enough throttle and stalled a bunch.

We worked on clutch modulation a lot. Creeping across the parking lot at a walking pace with the throttle at 4K and dragging the back brake. Hard on the clutch, but she was scared of the throttle before and now she isn't.

Biggest thing was that when she went to start off she would goose the throttle, get nervous, and then chop it before letting out the clutch. We worked on using the clutch to slow the movement from a start and leaving the throttle where it was.

By the end of the hour she was playing the clutch and throttle together like she'd been doing it for longer than.. well... an hour. Lots of good drills from slow starts to hard launches. Figure eights, tight circles, hard braking.

In the Spring we're going back to the parking lot (it's big enough that I can use second gear). Then some rides down the penninsula.

Oh... one advantage of the Termis and the open clutch cover... when teaching, you can hear the throttle easily and you can actually tell what I'm doing with the clutch because of the rattle.

Both of us had sore left forearms by the end. Hard to remember what it was like not even knowing where all the controls were. But it was calm and fun with no stress (she'll get a username soon and comfirm that).

She's looking forward to riding in the Spring with folks.

Chris

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Statler said:
Did drills for an hour at the local high school lot on the MSF paint.

Gwendy is getting much more confident at starting. She never gave the bike enough throttle and stalled a bunch.

We worked on clutch modulation a lot. Creeping across the parking lot at a walking pace with the throttle at 4K and dragging the back brake. Hard on the clutch, but she was scared of the throttle before and now she isn't.

Biggest thing was that when she went to start off she would goose the throttle, get nervous, and then chop it before letting out the clutch. We worked on using the clutch to slow the movement from a start and leaving the throttle where it was.

By the end of the hour she was playing the clutch and throttle together like she'd been doing it for longer than.. well... an hour. Lots of good drills from slow starts to hard launches. Figure eights, tight circles, hard braking.

In the Spring we're going back to the parking lot (it's big enough that I can use second gear). Then some rides down the penninsula.

Oh... one advantage of the Termis and the open clutch cover... when teaching, you can hear the throttle easily and you can actually tell what I'm doing with the clutch because of the rattle.

Both of us had sore left forearms by the end. Hard to remember what it was like not even knowing where all the controls were. But it was calm and fun with no stress (she'll get a username soon and comfirm that).

She's looking forward to riding in the Spring with folks.

Chris
Chris - You might wanna get some adjustable levers or better clutch slave on that bike. It was a mod i never got around too. I cant explain it, but the 620 seemed easy to stall. I think it may have something to do with a vary narrow range of engagement. I stalled it quite a bit when i first got it until i got adjusted to the narrow friction zone.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd suggest adjustables over a new slave. The aftermarket slaves are mostly intended for the dry bikes, and reduce the effort needed to pull the level. The 620s lever pull is already quite light - enough so I could 1 finger it. If one made it much lighter I think you'd loose out on some of the feel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, putting a 14t front sprocket will solve that. THe problem with stalling is caused by first being to tall with the 15t. Makes the bike, any Ducati much easier to ride.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Liam said:
actually, putting a 14t front sprocket will solve that. The problem with stalling is caused by first being to tall with the 15t. Makes the bike, any Ducati much easier to ride.
Gee, sorry honey, your $20 part that will dramatically improve your riding experience will have to wait while the grand of unneeded crap gets put on my bike over the winter. Maybe next year.

That was first attempt...

Should I rephrase?

Just kidding. We're on it for the Spring.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Only a grand worth of stuff huh?

Dont you just hate having a bike so perfect you cant come up with ways to needlessly spend money on it?

(nevermind - BST CF wheels and a head porting and polishing job can cost big bucks)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts