Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out for a short spin bewteen rain showers to test out the stock style fairing. Although everyone's opinions varied on it, the average answer seemed to be pretty accurate. It works to a certain extent. But not like a full fairing. It flaps or vibrates a little at the top edge, but only at lower speeds and low rpms.

I did a couple of ton-up runs and found that it did reduce buffeting. I didn't pull anything over about 110, but with just a half tuck, it felt better than 85 without it. Tucking almost all the way, but not as tight as I used to without it, it was considerably smoother. In fact when I hit 6th and looked down and saw 105 and climbing, I was pleasantly surprised that I was that speed already and not getting peeled off the bike ;D

For what I got it for, a worthwhile investment given the way it fits the Monster's overall lines. When I run out of things to spend money on for the Monster (ha ha ha) I may even order a Dart Flyscreen for comparison and maybe sell off the one I like less or keep both for different looks on a whim. ::)

M

·
0 Posts
I need a windscreen too, if this the real OEM part or a clone?
Whats the height like on these?
Was the flapping due to wind or just the monster vibration?

I'm considering getting the National F-18 screen myself.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was an OEM take off from a 98 M900. The seller had removed it aboout three months after getting the bike.

The only part vibrating or flapping is the top of the smoke colored windscreen part. It looks like it's more a vibration thing at low rpms because it smooths out as soon as I get above about 30 where the rpms are up and there is a little wind pressure on it. At high speed it was rock steady.

The Dart Flyscreen looks really good on Monsters IMHO, and it runs about $120 new. It is supposed to be a little more effective, too. Look at the other threads on windscreens/flyscreens here and General Monster topics. We've been kicking the idea around on the board for the last couple of weeks - lots of good info posted.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have the National Cycle double bubble screen on my 620 ( see pics in my folder~Deb H~ in the photo gallery) No flapping, looks great. It is not very high, but I do see a difference with wind buffeting. And it is a good price, $60-70 range.

M

·
0 Posts
yeah it was those pics that have pushed me towards the national product. It's combines good looks and is cheaper that most options which is a bonus!

If you have any or feel like taking a pic I would really love to see a few better closeups, mostly headlight area fitment, closeup side view and a close up of the cluster.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
mspgs2, my husband did not like the fact that the screen did not sit closer to the headlight:

The fuel and turn signal lights are hard to see with this screen, you have to angle your head slightly:

But I like the screen so I deal with these little things.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I can't seem to get a good side pic :
:-/

M

·
0 Posts
thanks deb!

hrm yeah I can see much clearer the fitment issues. If that darn screen was pivoted up just a tad it might be killer.

decisions, decisions.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
mspgs2, my husband didnot think the screen will pivot up.... but tommorrow (Sunday) we will see if it will. So before you decide, let me check that pivot. It is said to be a "universal" fit and if you can see the side view, it is hooked behind the headlight bracket with holes, then there is a slot fitting further up, which hooks behind the turn signals, if we are correct in our thinking , the slot fit is at the end and cannot pivot up more, but let us check.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If it can pivot , that would eliminate the dash light problem, and it would also fit slightly closer to the headlight. I would have thought we would have did that if it would, but we might have been having a bad mechanical day, the day we installed it and just didn't realize that??? :-[ :-/

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
mspgs, just got back from a chilly ride! The screen will not pivot any more, it is at the end of the slot that hooks behind the turn signals. :-/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts