Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest Motorcyclist magazine talks a little bit about setting up an S4R--They said first thing it needs is a rear height adjustment (cant remember if it was up or down, but I think it was raising the rear--reduces trail, right ?). Has anyone done this yet ? How much and did it make a noticible difference ?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't done it on the "R" but I brought up the rear end of my S4 so it didn't feel like riding a cruiser. Take it from my experience though, you can take it up too high. I had to get a new upper chain wear plate, the only handling issue was it felt really light in the rear but it tracked cleanly.

I have got it up to where 1" of threads are showing (someone on this site mentioned a 2.2:1 ratio) and it is pretty comfortable and seems more stable on exiting a turn or curve. As soon as I get more chain clearance by going up a couple of teeth in the back, I will probably go up another .25" or .50" because that is where it seemed to ride best for me. I have also heard that you want a specific swingarm angle but I don't know what that number is. 18 degrees comes to mind but I don't know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts