Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here play with the ride height of their monster, specifically increasing the height at the rear? What effects on handling, response, comfort did ya'll have? Worth it, yes/no? Any first hand experience or observations?

V

·
0 Posts
I have just did it a few weeks ago. I have raised the ride height by about an inch or so.
The bikes fits me much better, handles better, is more comfortable cant say enough a very inexpensive and effective mod.

D

·
0 Posts
in a nut shell, increase in rear ride height will:

-Steepen the swingarm droop, which should make the bike hold a line better coming out of corners

-make rear wheelspin more of an issue if raised to high (prolly wont happen)

-quicken steering because it'll affect steering head angle.

Sorry for the bad English but I'm in a rush :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah,

I'm 6'2" and I've asked two dealers about that now...they both said, "Nah, don't mess with that..it will change the steering geometry and other stuff." So they have me paranoid to try it.

They might have been saying that cause they had no clue, didn't want to mess with it, whatever....

I guess I should shell out for a full suspension setup at a race place?

--2 Tall--

C

·
0 Posts
at 6'2 how well do you fit on the bike? I am 6'2 and about 220 pounds, and am afraid that I will not fit on a monster. I am under the understanding that all monsters have the same frame.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I love my Monster. However, I found it to be a torture device until I got a custom seat. I know some people on here like the seats, but it was ridiculously uncomfortable for me until I got a Corbin.

The last couple days riding my roommates stock 620 confirmed that also, within 10 minutes my back and wrists hurt, not to mention the crotch area. When I got my bike back from the shop it made me appreciate the seat even more.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Sounds like a good mod. My shop has an item that should help, but I can't for the life of me remember the tech name for it. It allows for ride height adjustment at a cost of $100 without getting an all new suspension. Damn I hate being such a noob about moto parts.

O

·
0 Posts
Yeah what the heck... I had the same question... My reason is I sometimes takes girls out on rides and always remebered that u had to adjust the suspention accroding to the weight you were carrying... Is it easy to adjust on your own? I kinda get freaked about touching the suspention.

R

·
0 Posts
It's pretty easy to adjust preload for adding a passenger...and suspension I think is cool, and fun to mess around with....

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
retro, i think you're right, it's a tie rod, but it's not adjustable on the 800S, at least on mine it's not (an 03). i feel way too upright on the bike with the stock handlebars and feel a bit disconnected from the front wheel. i've got a set of cycle cat clip-ons on order. I was curious to know of people's experience w/ the ride height adjustment. Seems like a good mod. if i go through with it, i'll let ya'll know. thanks!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the link retro. i know my bike is an S, so I'll get to the bottom of this. right now i'm on a little vacation in sunny florida, wish i had my bike with me.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I cranked up the rear ride height on my s4r 1/2 inch and it made a huge difference. Used to be kinda heavy on quick left right transitions, now its much easier to toss around in the twisties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts