Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to just upgrade the calipers on our S2Rs to a nice four piston Brembo unit without changing the rotors out and get some significant improvement in braking on my 800, or will the rotors warp?

I was under the impression that a change in calipers required a change in rotors as well, but here I am tonight reading the review of the R1 in the latest RRW magazine and I say to myself 'Pete, those rotors sure look small; in fact they look just like the ones on my 800'. Sure enough, they're only 310mm (v. our 300mm) and thin at that. Then I notice they've got huge six piston Sumitomo calipers.

Anyone done just a caliper upgrade on the 800 with decent results? I don't need a super set of stoppers, but it would be nice to have a little more bite and feel than the stockers.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
To swap to the 4 piston Brembo - be they 2 or 4 pad you will need 10mm Offset rotors - 320mm diameter. I did this swap on a 620 not so long ago. Definetly more braking force availible to you.

Besides the offset issue, using a 300 mm rotor woudl be a bad idea since you'd loose a good chucnk of rotor surface area, not to mention that the pads would have a goove cut in them... not how they are supposed to work.

So long story short - you need to match up the rotor and caliper positions for proper rotor to pad contact. A machine might be able to fashion an adapator that would allow you to use the 300 mm rotors... But then you're adding another point of failure to a critical system - and micgh have clearance issues around the spokes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.