Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having trouble with the fuel pump on my 2005 Monster 620 - but since apparently replacing it is a ~$1100 part (since you have to replace a whole assembly - so says my shop), I'm pretty reluctant to do that. Looked into the pumps that ca-cycleworks makes, but they don't appear to be made for my year/model. So here's what I know; hopefully someone might have some intuition for me.

The short version: the fuel pump doesn't turn on when I turn on the ignition. Can't hear it power up, and when I hit the starter switch, the starter motor cranks and cranks but never catches. HOWEVER, if I leave the bike out in the sun for an hour or two (it's usually in an underground-ish garage), the pump will start up and I'll have no problems riding the bike, or starting again as long as I don't let it cool down too much. Oh, and I've checked the relays, to no avail.

More info: bought the bike at ~9k miles, problem first hit just after ~10k. Took it to my mechanic (Nichols Mfg in Milpitas - they seem pretty darn reputable to me), and one of the guys there pulled things apart. I think at first they didn't think the pump was getting power, but after some more fiddling about, they couldn't get the pump to NOT work. So I took the bike back, and rode it another 1200 miles or so, no problems at all. Then, the morning after it'd been out in significant rain all day (don't usually take it out in the rain, don't know if it's relevant), the problem came back, and has persisted for days.

Anything sound familiar or anybody have any brilliant ideas? I'd love to hear!

·
Registered
31 Posts
check the wiring loom, disconnect it and flex it. there could be a wire thats broken at some point. verify that you are getting 12v to the pump on startup or do a continuity test from the fuel pump relay to the connector

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a sense, yes, but not a perfect one. I found a great-condition replacement on eBay for $150 and my mechanic put it in for like $40. Runs great now, anyhow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok you I sound like we have the same problem. I do all the work on my bike and I took it in to have belts and throttle sync. Now they say the fule pump isn' turning on. They say the wires that go threw the composite (plastic) plug have broke. The reason the plastic plug broke a wire is because ethanol expands plastic. And i'm America the gas company puts ethanol in our gas. The ethanol then expands the plastic plug that holds your wires crushing them making them not have a good connection. Ducati has already had a class action law suite against their plastic tanks. So, if you can see the big picture here ducati has messed up on designing their fuel tank and the plug that our fuel pump wires run threw. I think Ducati needs to recall the fuel tank and the pump assembly because of the fuel pump plug. Paying for a whole fuel pump or a new gas tank is crazy when they are non wearable parts. I'm super upset and I don't have a bike to ride for a month now. I think if we can get enough customers of ducati that have these plastic tanks and plugs to say something about this problem they would recall it. This problem of ever expanding fuel tank and fuel pump wire flange plug is uncalled for by such a experienced company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fixed it

Ok you I sound like we have the same problem. I do all the work on my bike and I took it in to have belts and throttle sync. Now they say the fule pump isn' turning on. They say the wires that go threw the composite (plastic) plug have broke. The reason the plastic plug broke a wire is because ethanol expands plastic. And i'm America the gas company puts ethanol in our gas. The ethanol then expands the plastic plug that holds your wires crushing them making them not have a good connection. Ducati has already had a class action law suite against their plastic tanks. So, if you can see the big picture here ducati has messed up on designing their fuel tank and the plug that our fuel pump wires run threw. I think Ducati needs to recall the fuel tank and the pump assembly because of the fuel pump plug. Paying for a whole fuel pump or a new gas tank is crazy when they are non wearable parts. I'm super upset and I don't have a bike to ride for a month now. I think if we can get enough customers of ducati that have these plastic tanks and plugs to say something about this problem they would recall it. This problem of ever expanding fuel tank and fuel pump wire flange plug is uncalled for by such a experienced company.

Ok so after having my bike at moto corsa for 39 days I got my bike back. I got my bike back not moto corsa of Portland. I had to re engineer the fule pump and I had to find my own rear tire. I fixed the fule pump in two days only because i had to wait to get some epoxy. Moto corsa couldn't find a rebuild kit for the fule pump within sep 13- Oct 11. I called them on the 11th and they said I would have to pay $1100.00 plus to get the new fule pump. I only have 25000 miles on my bike. I think to myself every twenty five thousand miles later I'll have to buy another one. NOT F THAT NOISE. So on the twelfth of of October I went to moto corsa and picked up my pump. I brought it home and fixed as much as I could and then my friend(not a lying mechanic) took it and used some epoxy to fill it in. So, if you have this problem with your fule pump come talk to me I can fix your Ducati fule pump. Disclaimer: just put on with no long term testing and I claim no liability if gas were to leak from repaired area.

PS does anyone know a way to replace cam belts and sync the throttles on a efi Ducati without having to take it to the horrible place they call the dealership?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same Problem

Are people still having this problem? I found that the internet is loaded with accounts of this failure.

My bike has been inopperable since August 2013 because of this. Since then I started working on a solution. My bike is my own prototype. I'm pretty close to an end.

Let me know if you guys have questions on why this happens, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts