Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Monster world and have wanted one since I was living in Italy and soon enough it will happen but I have a question that I hope will be answerer here.
How is it ridding with two people on the Monster? I know that it is capable of doing it but is it comfortable and more importantly is it reccomended? Does it destabilize the bike to such an extent that it would be dangerous?
Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, it's possible
No, it's not comfortable (with the stock seat)
Yes, it does destabilize the bike if the rider and passenger are too heavy, you can check the weight ratings in the owner's manual.
I've allowed passengers, but I don't particularly care for the feeling of having them on the back, I'm pretty heavy, and if I get someone over 100 pounds, I can really feel the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I ride 2 up all the time, no problems. It sucked with the stock seat though, I thought the stock seat was a torture device to begin with, but with a passenger it was truly awful. I couldn't even ride 2 block without having the passenger slide forward and totally smashing my nuts against the tank. Now that I have a Corbin all is very nice. The only other thing I would worry about is suspension. If you're suspension isn't dialed in properly already for you, it will be VERY soft with a passenger.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came across this page one time about riding 2-up on a monster. It was by this woman who had been subjected to the rear end treatment (ok, that was cheap) on more than one occasion. It's pretty good... funny diagrams.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I ride with a passenger quite often and I have to say it's not the best for anything longer than 20 min especially somewhere with a lot of stop lights and stop signs.

A few things to remember:

Your nuts get crushed on every stop / Brake distance is almost doubled / Watch out for speed bumps and pot holes the bike is ride height is much lower / No fat chicks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no fat chicks...true, all too true. Leave the big girls at home. Not only does it make it ALOT harder on you, but it really lowers the bike, you loose a ton of juice, and it eats up tires.

But, my fiance.'r.ee (which ever one means chick) weighs about 110lbs and rides with me all the time. Anything over 45min and she gets ready to take a break. As far as the "nut-squashin" tell her to put her hands on the tank before you come to a stop to brace herself and keep her off of you. BTW she says the seat sux.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I found that the stock Monster seat is a major nutcracker with or without passenger...

I'm very happy with my Corbin :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was worried about that at first too. Rode with the wife for the first time over the weekend. She said it was pretty much the same as the honda nighthawk as far as comfort. I actually preferred the monster. I think because of the shape of the seat my wife stayed where she was suppose to. She was always sliding forward and crowding me on the flat seat of the nighthawk. I guess I'm lucky that my wife is small, only 5'3" 115lbs.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have given several women rides and they really haven't complained since most of them haven't ever rode motorcycles before. They seem like they are too excited when we take off. :)

I wish I could get my wife on the d*mn bike since she is 5'2" and 105lbs. Most of the other women are more avg. size and I can definately feel the difference in power.

I hate it when they slide up and squash my nuts! I'll take that advice next time of having them hold the tank before stopping. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We ride 2 up sometimes. She slides forward a lot too, but I just tap her knee and she scoots back agains giving my nuts the appropriate breathing room. Does anyone ever adjust the rear suspension or inflate the tires a little more before they ride 2 up? I know this is recommended but I am wondering how often people actually do this.

Tom E.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to ride two up all the time before I got married but that's another story for a very different time.
Regarding the suspension I always changed it as I found the footpegs scrapped far to easy even with only that extra 110lb on the back.
Having the passenger hold onto the tank works a treat with the added bonus that when you pull away again her hands automaticaly end up perfectly positioned....
Enjoy your "2up".

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
;D. Zina's explaination of riding two on a bike was not only informative but really funny. I almost peed on myself.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
don't like it one bit. had ride my friend to pick up his bike once and it completely sucked. i'm sure we were over the weight restriction (im at 200# and he is at least 185#). next time they're cabbin it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All these posts about the stock seat being a torture device are funny. My S4 has a stock seat and it feels like a lounge chair compared to the seat on my cbr600f4i. I guess it's all relative... Still haven't tried it with a passenger yet.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I ride 2 up all the time, but I won't date anyone over 130# ;D There is obviously an effect on handling, ground clearance, etc. but the effect on the soul overcomes all that. Most girls don't want you scraping pegs anyway, although there are exceptions. Not to start another seat thread, of which we have plenty, but the ex's report that the stock seat was more comfortable than the Sargent, because the Sargent is more well defined and gives more room to the rider and less to the passenger. The stock seat forces your nuts to slide into the tank, and of course that is really comfy for the passenger :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts