Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting to play with some mods to my bike. I've started by replacing the filter with a K&N and removed the snorkles in the airbox. I've stopped short of hacking the entire airbox for now. How do you tell when you need to rejet/adjust your bike to correct for lean/rich issues?

Thanks!
will
01 Monster 750
http://www.desmohio.com

T

·
0 Posts
Some seat of the pants signs of your mixture are,

Too Lean: Slow warm up, popping or caughing at intake, popping or caughing on acceleration, no color in pipes or on plugs.

Too Rich: Easy to start even when really cold, runs worse when warm, blubbery sound coming from exhaust, dark color to pipes and plugs, plugs foul easily, black smoke.

Of coarse a shop can test more accurately.

S

·
0 Posts
actaully, if lean, you'll be hearing backfires on decelleration, right? (misfires)
while if over-rich, you'll be hearing backfires on accelleration (unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust).

and as mentioned, the plug-check's a good way to go.

as a rule to keep in mind though, if your bike's air/fuel hasn't been changed since stock, you're DEFINATELY running a bit on the lean side. ducati sends ALL their bikes to the US with a leaner-then-ideal setup to meet EPA emissions standards. nothing to worry about but if you go nuts with your intake AND exhaust, you'll definately need to rejet or tune your FI depending on your bike's equipment.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If the bike was running well before removing the snorkels and you removed them without adjusting the mixture, that's what lean feels like. ;)

If you think your bike is off just a little, you can compare the difference in behavior when it's just starting to warm up to when it's good and hot. Rich will behave better cold and lean will be better hot.

My bike is tuned just slightly rich (for summer riding, at least) and behaves well almost all the time. The only time I don't like how it runs is when I go up a few thousand feet on a hot day. It runs well and produces great power on cold days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts