Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As requested in THIS THREAD, I'll give a little review of the Respro Foggy Mask pictured below:

The short review: THUMBS DOWN :-/

The longer review:

I was looking for an anti-fog solution that wouldn't require adding something to the shield, such as a Fog City. I also wanted something convenient and integrated into my helmet, so that I don't have to mess with spray-on coatings. The Respro looked ideal, and another rider I spoke to said it worked great for him (in an Arai RX7-RR3), so I decided to give it a shot. I tried it this morning and I must say it worked great at preventing fogging. I didn't have to raise my shield once today on a cold 5-hour ride. But that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

First, I'll tell you that I used it in a Shoei X-11. The Foggy attaches to any helmet via velcro. One attaches to a stick on patch that goes on the inside of the chinbar. Two more velcro panels are intended to mate up with the soft inner lining of the cheekpad (i.e., the "hook" side of the velcro patch that you see in the second picture faces outward and sandwiches between the chin-strap and the cheekpad). Herein lies the rub, literally! When pulling off my helmet, the mask always seems to fold inward, towards my face, so that the extremely rough "hook" panel scrapes against my temples. Removing my helmet is quite painful. I now have ugly red scratches on both of my temples. No good. One more con - the mask has a tendency to cave inwards over my mouth, making it more difficult to breath.

Despite working well at preventing fogging, it's just not worth the pain. I guess I will have to keep searching for a solution.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Couldn't you do a little cutting and sewing and switch the hook velcro to the mask and the loop side to the helmet liner? Seems like a simple solution.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose I could, but I see two problems with that.

1. How would I attach the hook velcro patch to the cheek pad? It's nearly an inch thick, so I can't exactly sew it. Glueing would be awfully messy.

2. If I did resolve the first problem, I would then have to use my helmet with the mask ALL the time, including those hot summer days. Otherwise, my face would get scratched by the hook velcro now permanently attached to my cheek pad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts