Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ProTune Powermap for the Siemens ecu

The Basics. This is the only way to remap a stock ecu on the new bikes with the Siemens ecu. The Powermap unit does not stay with the bike like the PowerCommander does. It does not require removing the O2 (lambda) sensors. It also does not "trick" the computer by altering readings from O2 sensors or throttle position sensors. The new fuel map replaces the old one for the entire rpm range, not just from 5000 on up. The unit also raises the red line and rev limiter. The total price with shipping was $525. That seems like a lot of money, but it is a fraction of the price of the DP ecu, which is the only comparable option.

Overall impressions. The unit has an easy to read lcd screen and the on-screen directions are easy to follow, which is rare for an Italian product. The unit appears to be well made, which sort of feels like a waste to me, since you really only use it for 10 or 15 minutes and then it just gets put in a drawer, until you decide to change to another map or return it to stock. You look at the thing and kind of wishi that it would serve some other puropse, like reading engine codes for example. It doesn't. According to ProTune, you can't use it on another bike, even if you were to pay them for another map. I'd like to test this out. I wish I knew someone with a new 696 who was nearby.
Included is; the tuner box, the cable to connect it to the bike, and a usb cable to connect it to a pc to get new maps and perhaps update the unit firmware (haven't been able to get confirmation on that last part). ProTune also included a Carbon Fiber (looking) tank protector as a little gift. A nice touch, (and perhaps bribe, since I'm apparently the first person in the states to get their hands on it, and I mentioned that I was going to write this review) The unit comes pre-loaded with the map of your choice. Maps are available in several levels based on the mods that you made to the bike. They offer a custom tune option, but I couldn't find anywhere here in the states that could do that.
ProTune shipped the unit to me the the moment it was ready for sale. Although I appreciate that they sent it UPS next day air saver, it did cost 65 euros.If I was a more patient person, I would probably have prefered waiting an extra week and saving some money.

The Tuning Process. I love the fact that it uses the data port under the seat for its connection. Getting to the ecu isn't easy on these bikes, so this method of connection probably saves you nearly an hour over what a "piggy back" style tuner would take to install.
There are no wires to cut or tap in to. There is nothing to remove, except the seat and the little cover on the data port. The "installation", if you can really call it that, couldn't be easier.
Apparently the data port has constant power, because the moment you connect the unit, it powers up, even with the key off. From there on out it's a 4 or 5 step process where you follow the screen directions. Those directions are pretty simple too: "press Y button", "turn key to on position". Again, easy.

Ordinarily the first thing the unit is supposed to do is save your stock tune in its memory. That didn't happen for me. Both times I tried, I received an error message stating that the unit couldn't save my stock map. It's really not a big deal, since ProTune has the stock map available for download, but it was a glitch in the system. Because of unfortunate timing ProTune, and most of Italy, is closed for the next two weeks for vacation, so I wasn't able to get any tech support about the matter. Once all the Italians are back to work and rested, I'll get some more info on what happened.

The first thing that you notice once the process is done is that the start up message on the instrument cluster now says "Racing 696" an indication that the new map "took".

The Results. Unlike the carburated bikes that I've rejetted, a huge difference isn't immediately noticable. Remember it's a learning ecu and you just wiped out it's memory. It seems to take a little while for the bike to figure things out. It didn't start very well that first time, but subsequent starts have been quick.
Quick blips of the throttle from idle no longer result in a stumble, even when the bike is not anywhere close to being warmed up. The bike seems to idle somewhat smoother also.

Out on the road. Unfortunately I was only able to get out for 10 or 15 miles before the rain started to fall, so at this time, I don't have a full report.

What I did notice.
-I found myself shifting less, and I think it's because the bike is happier at higher rpms than it used to be.
-The red line is at 9500 - 9750 or so. It's hard to tell because of the lag in the display. As usual, there's very little warning because the red light still seems to come on just as the rev limiter hits. Shouldn't the light warn you what is about to happen, not what just happened?
-Some of the jerkyness is also gone, and overall the bike seems smoother. Along the same lines, I can now ride down my quiet residential street at 25mph in second gear and the bike doesn't lug or surge nearly as bad as it used to. Prior to this I had to run in first gear at 4,000 rpm, which always got looks from the neighbors.
-The burbling and popping have been reduced somewhat. Luckily, it is not gone altogether, because that would have been a deal breaker for me. I love the "personality" that all that snarling gives.

The more I rode, the better it seemed to get. I think that I'll go out in the next couple of days and put some real miles on it and see what happens. I'm also going to check the fuel mileage. Up till now I've been averaging about 42mpg, it will be interesting to see if that changes.

Pictures soon

Oh, I guess that I should mention that I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company and I paid full price for everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might be just what I'm looking for. I already sent them an email for additional info and a price quote. It definitely is a cleaner solution than strapping a power commander on top of the stock ecu, let's see if it is also cheaper.

Is there a dyno involved at any stage? How can you tell if the map fits your exhaust? I have a Quat-D Slimline mounted to my Monster 1100, so I have different headers and a 2-in-1 instead of 2-1-2.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the dyno research is done at ProTune. They have at least 9 different maps that should cover nearly every setup. You tell them what you have and they give you a suitable map.

Custom mapping on a dyno is available, but again, I couldn't find anyone here in the states that does it. (hint, business opportunity for some dyno facility)

I'd like to get it on a dyno just to see the difference that the mods made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've seen these looks like a good option. There is also the Rexxer unit which looks like the Protune but rebranded. The Rexxer states that you can read engine codes reset throttle position and co. I think it's around 600 or you can just send you computer in and they can flash it for 300. The good news for the rexxer is one of our sponsers carries it Desmoworks. I think Motowheels carries the Protune;D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still can't make any sense out of the Rexxer info from the web site.
It looks like the unit and the cable are $720 and then the map is another $260.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I pmed Desmoworks and they said it was 600 I assume thats with a map and correct cabling. But, they can flash it to whatever specs you want for 300. They can remove the o2 censors,exhaust flap and raise the revs. Then you have a open loop map that you can program threw the hole range with a power commander.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally had a chance to take the bike out for 3 hours of mixed riding. City, back roads and some highway riding, you know, mixed.

More things I noticed
-the rev limiter is somewhere between 9250 and 9500
-the exhaust note is fatter, which makes the bike sound bigger
-More of the burbling/popping is gone on decell. (bummer)
-bike is way happier at low rpms than it ever was. It still lugs, but there is more power, so it doesn't vibrate the whole bike at 2500 rpm
-It is a lot easier to keep the bike at a steady speed.

I'm going to try to get it on a dyno in the next week or two to get some real numbers to back up my feelings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
where can you get The ProTune Powermap for the Siemens ecu ducati 696 and what if you already have the dp ecu that came with the term system and what if i add pod air filters so system can do they have a map for that

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got mine directly from ProTune, but forum sponsor MotoWheels is a distributor. I haven't confirmed that they have the Siemens unit yet, though.

I'm not sure about the DP ecu, I would assume that it's just a regular old ecu that was mapped to DP specs. So remapping it should be the same. I'm sure that you would want to save the original map, since it isn't readily available if you wanted to return it to "stock".

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got mine directly from ProTune, but forum sponsor MotoWheels is a distributor. I haven't confirmed that they have the Siemens unit yet, though.

I'm not sure about the DP ecu, I would assume that it's just a regular old ecu that was mapped to DP specs. So remapping it should be the same. I'm sure that you would want to save the original map, since it isn't readily available if you wanted to return it to "stock".
ok thanks do protune have a web site ? cant find them on the web can you send me a link please . yes i have email motorwheels so see what they say . the dp ECU has only a 8200 rev limiter and with 14TH front it get there WOW so fast so 9200 rev limiter would so nice but i thinking of going to 44 at the back and i am sure the air box is not the best so need bigger box but no room or maybe pod air have you see this than say you can get up 7 to 8 HP WITH THEM ? http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-monster-1100/49994-waspworks-power-up-kit.html but don't want to use POWERCOMMANDER 5 when the bike has a great ECU just needs new maps

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The website is www.protune.it but quite frankly there isn't a whole lot of info on it

The person that you want to talk to is Augusto [email protected]
As I mentioned, though, they are on vacation until at least the 23rd of August.
They will sell it to you through their retail outlet www.partsplanet.it, a site that also sucks

They have quite a few maps available, but I'm not sure about the particulars for your bike.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update: preliminary results indicate that I may have lost about 3 1/2 mpg. Although this was the first tank of fuel that I've put through the bike since the remap.

Update 2: Dyno appointment set up for Wed 8/18. The good folks at Northern Ohio Ducati have agreed to help me out with a dyno run on their DynoJet 250i. They also have some baseline numbers from bone stock bikes. Results soon.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What a fun day at the dyno. Before I go in to the surprising results, I really do have to thank the folks at Northern Ohio Ducati. What a great bunch of guys. I especially like the fact that they are a true Ducati store, not a Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki,KTM and Ducati store.

We took a few runs with my bike, which has Quat D oval slip ons, an K & N air filter, 14 tooth sprocket and the Protune Powermap ecu map. We also ran a bone stock 2010 696 abs demo bike and ran it. We were also able to pull up a 696 that they had run on the dyno a little while ago, which had the Termi slip ons, ecu and air filter.

My dyno results

[/URL][/IMG]

My bike made 67.64 hp and 44.69 lb/ft of torque. As you can see the bike is running quite rich between 3500 and 6500 rpm. Stan at the shop suggested opening up some holes in the airbox like the Termi kit does. You'll also notice that the horsepower curve is pretty flat.

Here is an overlay of my bike vs the 696 with the Termi kit.

[/URL][/IMG]

My bike is in red, the Termi bike is in blue. The first thing you notice is that the results are within 1hp and 1/2 a ft/lb. The curves are similar, but my bike is smoother. Also looking at the a/f ratio at the bottom, the Termi bike is off the charts lean at the bottom end, although it does fatten up as the rpms climb.

Now the surprising part.

[/URL][/IMG]

The bone stock bike (in blue) overlaid with my bike. With the exception of a few dips, the curves are very similar. Yes, it runs a bit lean, but not as lean as you would think. When you look at the numbers they are just as close to my bike as the Termi bike was.

The results from all this.
There are quite a few reasons to go with an aftermarket set of slip ons, but power isn't one of them. They do make the bike sound the way it should, and (in my opinion) make it look better, but they really don't make a difference in hp. Compare the difference in sound between the stocker and mine.
Click on the giant thumbnail to watch the video.

[/URL][/IMG]

It's a similar story with the computer mods, regardless of which one you choose, you really aren't going to make dramatic changes to the horsepower numbers. What does change, and change quite dramatically, is the rideability of the bike. As I mentioned above, it is just so much nicer to ride with most of the 696s bad manners gone.

As a side note, the mpg numbers that I posted above have been called in to question, since my last tank of fuel netted 42 mpg, which was exactly what I averaged before the ProTune map was installed.

I still need to get some answers from the ProTune people once they return from vacation.
The 'not saving the stock settings' issue needs to be resolved and I also need to get confirmation about whether or not it makes changes to ignition timing. And lastly, whether or not the ProTune unit can be used for anything else, like diagnostics, so it doesn't just sit in a drawer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great info Tony thanks for sharing! My biggest issue with 2010 is the heat cooking my inner thighs. Did you notice if yours ran cooler under the new map?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's hard to say. What I did notice is that I cleaned the front exhaust pipe right after I installed the map and now it no longer 'blues up'.

I thought about some exhaust wrap on the under seat part of the pipes, but that would probably just make the cans get hotter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great data man good stuff. I have a 09 696 pearl white 14 tooth SS termi's new ecu air filter and a few other mods. Now I feel like my bike was helped by the ecu in the top end of things but it didnt seem to make much of a difference with the low end pulsing problem. Now this bike is a low speed snob if there ever was one. Low rpms and this motor dont mix at all, unless ur ready to play with the clutch. If I had known a 796 was in the works I would have bought that. After test riding one I found a new friend in that bike, the seat is much more family jewel friendly and the higher bar riser stock makes the bike balance better. Starting turns and ending them in a much smoother way. I fight my bike into turns it seems compared to the 796. The two are one in the same in the top end of the bike but the low end is much nicer on the 796. And really the 696 seems to me to pull a little harder in the high rpms. Now I love my bike alot but I have always wanted it to pull alot harder on the low rpms. But I do like what your curves looked compared to what would be my curves. I want to go get my on a dyno now but no 2 are the same so it would be nice to get a stock 696 to go with me and see the difference. Also I posted on another thread about getting a bar riser for my 696. Ive read a tone of threads about Jesse racing risers but cannot seem to find them any where. If any one that reads this knows how to get some let me know please.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe there are a set of risers in the want ad section of this forum. $50.00 I think. If not the risers are available on E-Bay for $79.00 including shipping.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Zed, I installed entirely new bars on my '10 696. They are one half inch higher than the rise you get from the bar risers. Very comfortable, not high enuf to cause buffeting ot turnme into a wind sock. Now if I could just stop sitting on my 'nads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Zed, I installed entirely new bars on my '10 696. They are one half inch higher than the rise you get from the bar risers. Very comfortable, not high enuf to cause buffeting ot turnme into a wind sock. Now if I could just stop sitting on my 'nads.
Well I bought a touring seat a year ago and it helps alot. But I think the rise of the bars would make the the ride a whole lot better. Whats the name of the bars. And again I have looked and looked and looked and cannot find any thing apart from people talking about jesse risers. Is this a sick game being played on me or what.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 58 Posts