Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I was doing the right thing by donating blood and parked my 696 on the side of the road between two cars, right in front of the blood bank. I'm really careful where I park the bike, but as I walked into the mobile blood bank the lady at the door exclaimed, in shock, that someone had just reversed into a motorcycle. I turned around and there was my bike, lying on its side. The lady in the car was SO apologetic, etc.
On initial inspection, all the damage seemed to be was a scuffed bar end and a small scuff on the silencer guard. Pretty amazing, I thought. The lady offerred to pay for the bar end, but it didn't matter as it was a small thing and I was happy the damage was negligible. However, when I eventually rode away, I found the handlebars are bent and that the rear brake pedal was severely bent. Of course, as I expected, the lever broke when I tried to bend it back. In my defence, it was very bent. Many morals to this story ...
Now a question re handle bars.
I have a Rizoma 'bar that I plan to put back on the bike, but when I had it on initially, I found that the switch blocks didn't fit into the tank air intake vents and hit the tank -- unless I adjusted out the stoppers on the triple clamp. With the steering adjusted so the 'bars didn't hit the tank, the steering lock was severely compromised and dangerously inadequate. I took it off and put the stock 'bar back on. Anyone else had this problem with the Rizoma bars? If not, how do you have your 'bars adjusted?
Now, I'll prepare myself for the cost of a rear brake lever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Didn't get it. As far as I knew at the time, without riding the bike, the only damage was the bar end. That, and the fact I was so relieved there was no major damage. There's a lesson ithere, for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Go-Go... I think. Yeah,too nice, I guess. Anyway, I'm not full of anger and the bike still looks great. So, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to the bike, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haha, this wasn't in Chicago was it?

My friend and her husband visited me in Seattle this last weekend. They had just left Chicago, where she had backed into a Ducati... the guy let her off the hook. The story surprised the hell out of me, I kept thinking... why would this guy let her off the hook without at least getting insurance information?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know. Doesn't sound real bright, does it? At least I know that in Chicago there's someone just as dumb as me. That's comforting... I think.
Hey, you know, what goes around, comes around. Let me give you an update:
The "reversing incident" cost me a total of around USD$130. That was for the brake lever. I put on the Rizoma bar, which I had, so saved money there. Not real happy with it, but it'll do for the moment. No scratches ar anything else on the bike. Now the post script -- a bit long, but stay with me
Previously, in order to fix the standard seat/comfort issue, I converted a Ducati 'Low" seat, which came with the bike when I got it, and had it made wider under my backside and a little higher at the front so I didn't slide onto the tank. Fantastically comfortable! But the "Low" seat is covered in a beautiful velour type fabric which is great, but refuses to dry after it gets wet. Consequently, I wanted to do the same thing to the stock seat, which can be easily dried. But, I wanted to keep the stock seat if I ever (nooo!) wanted to sell the bike. Last weekend I was talking to the local baker who I knew rode a 696 and he told me that he had crashed his bike and it was a write off. He said that he had the stock seat and rear cowell left after the insurance company took the bike and he offered it to me for nothing! Said I could have it!! I humbly accepted. The seat is now in the process of being converted. After all that, I'm pretty sure I'm in front financially and all is well. Except maybe for the baker who has a broken arm and is bikeless, but with the insurance money, now drives a new Subary GT Turbo. So, I guess that's not bad. Also, since getting the bike knocked over, I realise just how much I love owning this little bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts