Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you modified your shifter in order to press down to upshift and up to downshift?

If so, was it hard to get used to? Would you recommend it? I like the idea of reversing the shift pattern but wanted to get some feedback before I did it.

Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/gp

i've since switched to a lever that mounts directly to the spline to eliminate linkages, but this works just fine. i got used to it within two or three rides and really like the results. more positive shifts since stomping DOWN is a more natural movement than cranking UP with your foot.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like it better. And I miss gears a lot less. But beware. If you do this, then take it to get serviced. The guy that pulls you bike around will always try to start out in 6th gear. It doesn't matter how many times you say 1up and 5down. He is gonna look at you like "I think I know how to shift a GD motorcycle."

Just in case somebody reads this thread and hasn't already seen it.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I too have been thinking about doing this...hmmmm...
I hear it keeps one from having false neutrals shifting from 1st to 2nd?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info (and pics). I am going to make the change this weekend. It's free and if for some reason I don't like it, I can always switch it back.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I don't think I'm coordinated enough to adapt to a shift pattern that is different from what I've been using the past 30 years or so.

On one of the Bay Area Monster Rides last year, Tigre dumped his bike in the dirt, bent the shifter and snapped off the clutch lever. We were trying to move it somewhere flat to get it ridable again, so I was trying to find neutral and didn't realize he had reversed his shift pattern. It probably took two or three minutes to realize I was trying to find a neutral between 5th and 6th. Once the little light went on in my head, I shifted it the other way and we were able to push it to a flat spot to begin fabricating. It wouldn't have been an issue if the clutch lever hadn't snapped off at the mounting point.

Now if it were my 1997, I could have found a neutral between 5th and 6th, or probably between any other pair of gears. That bike had the worst case of false neutrals of any bike I've ever seen.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What? ???
You say Ducs aren't supposed to have a neutral between 5th and 6th?
;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks s4strati for the link. i'm definitely into making this change.

one question though, the link didn't answer: how tight (ft. lbs. or Nm) should i bolt the shifter back?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've only got 2K on my S4 and I've had false neutrals between 5&6 a few times. Is it mostly sloppy shifting? is it likely to get worse over time?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

i've since switched to a lever that mounts directly to the spline to eliminate linkages, but this works just fine. i got used to it within two or three rides and really like the results. more positive shifts since stomping DOWN is a more natural movement than cranking UP with your foot.

Strati, I recall you having some difficulty in finding a direct shift lever for the Monster. Where did you end up finding one and is it only good for the rear sets you're running? Would it work with the stock peg setup?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks s4strati for the link. i'm definitely into making this change.

one question though, the link didn't answer: how tight (ft. lbs. or Nm) should i bolt the shifter back?
oh geez... i honestly have no idea! i just reassembled to a snug fit with blue (non-permanent) locktite. no probs for the 3 or 4 thousand miles i put on in that configuration.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Strati, I recall you having some difficulty in finding a direct shift lever for the Monster. Where did you end up finding one and is it only good for the rear sets you're running? Would it work with the stock peg setup?
there were a couple ways of finding a solution.
to explain... i wanted to eliminate the linkage for the shift lever. i figured if i was shifting a reverse pattern anyways, why not install a lever directly on the gear spline?

so i picked up a cyclecat reverse shift lever from motowheels and tried it with the S&P rearsets i had on at the time. now, keeping in mind that the S&P's move the footpeg about 1" up and 1" back from the stock location, i was surprised (dissapointed) to find that the c'cat lever was too long. in other words, it left only about a 3" space between the toe-eccentric and the footpeg which is way too little room to work your foot in there for shifting.

so i figured i could find a shorter GP lever, right? nope... nowhere to be found! i could probably have had one custom made, but figured there had to be a better option.

so i thought what about finding a different peg to fit into the S&P rearset that could move my foot further back? nope... nothing readily available and i didn't want to invest a bunch of green.

so i looked at the cyclecat rearsets (the first version which were out at the time). holy cow! very versitile in adjustment, i knew i could get 'em right where i needed them! but there was no way i could drop the $$$ for them. too expensive for my blood as tasty as they were. that, and they had a linkage integrated into them that i didn't want to mess around with removing. and in my taste, their pegs were splayed outboard a bit more than i liked. why re-engineer something that's that precious (expensive)?

so i kept digging and realized that the stock footpeg assemblies for the ST bikes bolt right onto the monster frame! i got my hands on a set of stock ST4 brackets to try out and they put my feet in an almost perfect position. about 1" or so further back than the S&P's went but a bit lower:

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/st-rset2.jpg

so i'm running these for now (i've got the rear brake's master cylinder mounted on the engine case using a superbike's mounting bracket, lever and brakelight switch) but would like the peg position about 1" higher to regain some cornering clearance. compared to stock, i figure my desired position would be about 2" back and 1" up. i'm working with a local buddy (as soon as i get my butt over to his house) on possibly machining up a custom set of rearsets for my application. depending on how it shakes out, i may collaborate with him to produce a small batch if people express interest.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm gonna have to sit on that bike sometime to figure out just where you ended up on foot position!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna have to sit on that bike sometime to figure out just where you ended up on foot position!
you riding this weekend? i may actually get a chance to dig the ol' gal outa the garage (heard it's gonna break 50 degrees sunday!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I"m assuming that I would need to buy new rearsets in order to reverse the **** pattern? It seems as though what you're sayin Strati is that using the stock rearsets will not work if changing the shift pattern? Please let me know since I will try this when I go home this weekend if possible! Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I"m assuming that I would need to buy new rearsets in order to reverse the **** pattern? It seems as though what you're sayin Strati is that using the stock rearsets will not work if changing the shift pattern? Please let me know since I will try this when I go home this weekend if possible! Thanks

no no!!! sorry for the confusion. the stock rearsets will not work if you use a reverse-shift lever. one that mounts directly on the gear spline and replaces the stock lever.

if you look here:

you see you can use all your stock bits and just flip the STOCK linkage on the gear spline.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ouch... methinks i messed something up.

did the 10 min. flip of the STOCK linkage on the gear spline, started the duke up, hit the shift lever from neutral up and SLAM.... 1st gear engaged like i never pressed the clutch. from there on everything works fine, except the violent shift to 1st.

now what do i do?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Hey Scott!

Why you gotta be bringing up old sh*t?!?

:mad:

Just kidding.

----
On one of the Bay Area Monster Rides last year, Tigre dumped his bike in the dirt, bent the shifter and snapped off the clutch lever

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ouch... methinks i messed something up.

did the 10 min. flip of the STOCK linkage on the gear spline, started the duke up, hit the shift lever from neutral up and SLAM.... 1st gear engaged like i never pressed the clutch. from there on everything works fine, except the violent shift to 1st.

now what do i do?
was the fast idle on or something? i don't think the shift pattern would have any effect on how the tranny snicks into 1st.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts