Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some interesting faults yesterday. Rode some 250 Km's all fine, and after a lunch stop, I kept getting the Oil Service along with the Check Engine Light on. Checked the oil level, all OK, the bike has 3,500 Km's on it since the last service which is due again in August. After several attempts of shutting it down and starting again, eventually no lights, so set off, but I got very slow throttle response and at 3,500 RPM, the Rev Limit Lights flashed on, and the bike wouldn't rev any harder. Ran fine, just poor throttle response but I could coax it to around 4,000 RPM. Some 30 Kms later, stopped for fuel, and on restart, all fine as if it had never happened.

Had been riding in temperatures down to 1 degree Celsius, but it was around 15 at the lunch stop, and the bike water temp stayed between 50 and 70 degrees all day.

Thoughts????? (besides 'Take it to the Dealer')

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, why didn't I think of that.

They cleared multiple faults, but nothing actually pointed to the root cause. I was hoping for some insight here.

Fortunately, my dealer has seen 2 others of these problems in the last couple of months, both on Monster 1200's and both about the same age. Different Kilometres though.

In those cases replacing the throttle computer thingy fixed it, so they have ordered one of those and we will see how we go.

Warranty is a wonderful thing :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
This bike man...this f'ing bike...too many gremlins...
Seriously thinking of waiting another year until all this **** gets sorted out, i just don't know anymore, every day you read something new, hmmm...

Sorry to hear that Deano, hope you find the root of the problem, ride safe

·
Registered
498 Posts
Had some interesting faults yesterday. Rode some 250 Km's all fine, and after a lunch stop, I kept getting the Oil Service along with the Check Engine Light on. Checked the oil level, all OK, the bike has 3,500 Km's on it since the last service which is due again in August. After several attempts of shutting it down and starting again, eventually no lights, so set off, but I got very slow throttle response and at 3,500 RPM, the Rev Limit Lights flashed on, and the bike wouldn't rev any harder. Ran fine, just poor throttle response but I could coax it to around 4,000 RPM. Some 30 Kms later, stopped for fuel, and on restart, all fine as if it had never happened.

Had been riding in temperatures down to 1 degree Celsius, but it was around 15 at the lunch stop, and the bike water temp stayed between 50 and 70 degrees all day.

Thoughts????? (besides 'Take it to the Dealer')
It sounds like the APS sensor. It is the entire throttle grip with cable and sensor. Search for TPS or throttle positions sensor. It happened to me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This bike man...this f'ing bike...too many gremlins...
Seriously thinking of waiting another year until all this **** gets sorted out, i just don't know anymore, every day you read something new, hmmm...

Sorry to hear that Deano, hope you find the root of the problem, ride safe
Talking about gremlins. I was riding home Friday when I went to shift to sixth and the bike got caught between gears. It was an ugly sound.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Talking about gremlins. I was riding home Friday when I went to shift to sixth and the bike got caught between gears. It was an ugly sound.
Hahaha, i feel ya Scuba, hope you enjoyed the "GRGRGRGRGRGGRKRAKRAKRA" sound, 'tis a beautiful thing no ? :D

On a positive side though, that's something that can happen on any bike my good man if you happen to find the "in-between" gear, that grinding sound = NOPE :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahaha, i feel ya Scuba, hope you enjoyed the "GRGRGRGRGRGGRKRAKRAKRA" sound, 'tis a beautiful thing no ? :D

On a positive side though, that's something that can happen on any bike my good man if you happen to find the "in-between" gear, that grinding sound = NOPE :D
Yeah, love that neutral when smooth shifting down from 6th to 5th. The sound, and the feeling through your left foot as you jam it into 5th or back up into 6th. I've just gotta learn not to be smooth.

As an aside, my dealer gave me a 695 monster to play with while they have mine. What a hoot of a bike, light, flickable, great lean angle, almost just want to keep it.

·
Registered
498 Posts

My initial desire was to pull over turn her off and give her a hug.....it was awful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I read this. I am so happy with my old Monsters.
No tons of faulty electronics.
Yeah but let me tell you it rained pretty hard over hear the other day. Once it dried I went out for a ride. I got carried away and slid on some sand that got washed into the curve..... I almost **** myself. The traction control kicked in for the briefest of moments and did something...not sure what but I was ****ing grateful. Without it I may have beenlaunched over the bars once the rear regrabbed the road. Love that safety PAC AUDI!!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Yeah but let me tell you it rained pretty hard over hear the other day. Once it dried I went out for a ride. I got carried away and slid on some sand that got washed into the curve..... I almost **** myself. The traction control kicked in for the briefest of moments and did something...not sure what but I was ****ing grateful. Without it I may have beenlaunched over the bars once the rear regrabbed the road. Love that safety PAC AUDI!!
If it works, than it's great.

I agree for that.

And you had your lucky day :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just had the same thing happen to my monster 1200. It started with the engine warning lights lighting up several times, which would go off once I turned the bike off then back on. Now the lights are always on and the bike will not rev over 4000 rpm. I've had the display replaced due to water leaking into it. Guess that the throttle assembly is next. My bike has done just under 6000 km.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Just had my entire throttle assembly replaced at dealers cost. Had the 4000 rpm rev limited ride to the dealer. I had even left the bike running so the owner could see for himself. They tried clearing the error codes first, sent me home. I made it half way to work the next day, maybe 10-15km total. They picked it up and the repair was free, just a $45 hit for the latest software.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So weird my 2015 has been flawless over 3000 miles. Never missed beat. Hit the fake neutral a couple of times when lazy shifting but I blame myself being too gentle on her. Other than that, what a machine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So weird my 2015 has been flawless over 3000 miles. Never missed beat. Hit the fake neutral a couple of times when lazy shifting but I blame myself being too gentle on her. Other than that, what a machine.
I hate it when I do that. Mine did stall a few times too. Twice to be exact that scared the **** out of me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts