Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a moment of opportunity I picked up a 99 Monster 900. It has the automatically retracting sidestand. I had an ST2, but this feature was "fixed" for me before I took delivery. Can someone tell me how to correct this accident waiting to happen? Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check www.drdesmo.com. He has the kickstand bolt that disables the auto-retract.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You can get the replacement bolt directly from Nichols Manufacturing: http://www.nicholsmfg.com/sidestandbolt.html or you can get the same thing at the same price from Chris Kelley at: http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/other.html down at the bottom of the page.

That was one of the first modifications to my bike. I was always nervous about the stand retracting at the wrong time and the bike falling over. Now I just have to occasionally deal with riding off with the stand down. I hardly ever do it unless there is a group watching, for some reason. :-[

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd be right there with you if I didn't have the evoluzione interlock bypass harness... now if I put it in gear with the sidestand down it shuts off. Much better then scraping along in front of an audience....

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Shep,

When I bought my '99 used from a dealer, he handed me the sidestand bolt in a bag... in case I wanted to put it on.

I ran without any bolt at all for 10,000 miles. No trouble.

BCM put a Nichols on for me last service. No use tempting the Gods I guess.

$15 I think. Short money for a little piece of mind.

But don't sweat running without a bolt while you await delivery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll get that bolt, (and some decent mirrors!), ordered right away. As you can see, I'm new to the board and have learned a fair amount just reading the posts. I come from the BMW world, I still have an 1150Gs, which is my main ride. I have always wanted a monster and watched one sit in the warehouse of a local cruiser dealer for about a year. I figured they were ready to unload it, so I got a fantastic deal. Take care.

Shep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know this sounds stupid but I miss the retractable sidestand from my last duck. The noise it made when it flicked up was so comforting or maybe because i have driven off so many times with the dam* thing down. ::)
Oh yeah and all the dumbaxx's who would sit on it, stand the bike up and not put the stand back down. :mad: On second thought......................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts