·
Registered
3,755 Posts
good thinkin'

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd take it for a ride (both of them) if I were you. Obviously very different bikes, but that shuld help some.

Also, IMHO, suspensions need upgrading anyway. I love having good valving, it makes everything plush!

Also, one big question- which bike do you really like? If the S4R really rings your bell, you can get around glitches like suspension or gearing.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Ok, sorry about the my first post to this, I just skimmed it.

The S4R can have a better suspension, but you can do it in about 10 minutes by adding about .5" to the rear end, depending on your height of course. The bike will track better and not stand up in the corners.

As for low end. That's what a Monster is...low end. The gearing can easily be made better as well by putting a 14 tooth front sprocket instead of the stock 15.

If you like the twisties and ride around town, go with the S4R. I ride everywhere, and it's good for the straights too. I don't think any of the magazines ever like the Monsters. They're just jealous.

Oh yeah, everything but a Ducati is treated like a swear word in here, so watch your mouth man. H*nda, Y*maha, K*wasaki, and I'm sorry Mom...S*uzuki. Oh man, I can't believe I just typed all that!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motorcyclist was somewhat off the mark I think. That article came out right after I bought my S4R. I took the time to set up my suspension and I did a couple other things and I have been laughing and loving it everyday since. It is such a fun bike! I have no idea what they were talking about when they said the throttle was glitchy. It's got tons of torque, plenty of HP, comfortable seat, I love the styling, It's a Ducati, I love to go and sit with it in the garage (I never did that with my [email protected]), I say if you were drawn to it then get it. I never did put a lot of stock in the mags anyway, they are spoiled by their celebrity status and need to say something, anything. I could go on but bottom line is I wouldn't trade my S4R for anything now. 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like my S4R. I have no complaints at all. You need to test ride the bike and make a choice. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I wasn't and I came from owning 2 R1's. Low end power feels pretty close to the throttle happy R1's.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Who cares what some magazine says, almost every issue of Bike and TWO trash Ducati's, I think most of the mags have their favorite manufacturers and they run down everybody else. Talk to other S4R riders and ride one, if you like it then get it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who cares what some magazine says, almost every issue of Bike and TWO trash Ducati's, I think most of the mags have their favorite manufacturers and they run down everybody else. Talk to other S4R riders and ride one, if you like it then get it.
Well, through this forum, I am trying to talk to other S4R owners.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know opinions are like a-holes. I've read Motorcyclist for years, and for the most part, they've been kind to Ducati. Hell, they LOVE that Multistrada(which is butt ugly in my opinion). Like I said before, there are bad things with any bike. They just seem to have more bad things to say about the S4R than good. They even said you would be better off buying the M1000DS or the Multistrada than the S4R. I just don't understand. The S4R is one of the best looking bikes out there. It's got all the right parts, Showa shocks, 996 superbike engine. I don't get their review.

Upon further re-reading, they do say it has a "great suspension once properly set up".

I'm going up to the dealership tomorrow(actually today, times flying), to check out the bike. Aren't Ducati dealership supposed to let you test drive their cycles?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I will admit the S4R is a ugly fooker.... I hate it! Get mad all of you that have one on this board, I don't give a Fook ;D Buy a 749 and trick it out and go to the track and have fun.

Okay.... you can now send me all the nasty hate PM you want, I delete them :)

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
It's sorta ridiculous to say any stock suspension is poorly set up. Set up for whom? The theoretical 150 lb. Italian rider? For what type of riding? Twisties? Track? Urban? Setting up the suspension is a necessary part of taking over a new bike. At least the S4R has adjustable suspension! Those of us with old 750's make do with the stock forks and we still go pretty fast. Don't worry about what the mags say, if you like the S4R get it and you'll love it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Get M1000Sie with that blue white paint scheme ?

My M1000Sie suspension was not so good when I took the bike from the dealer, but the good thing was I did not know that. After 600 mile service, I asked the Pro at the shop to touch it up a bit for me, and after the service (suspension touch up was free) the bike was much better , again.

As You see from this board, S4R owners are strange but happy.

Skier

·
Registered
294 Posts
To me it seems bike mags can be pretty picky on what the tell about a bike. Usually its things that we as average riders dont even notice or care.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not an S4R owner, BUT a S4 owner, which I believe if you read some of the other mag articles, they will say that Ducati FIXED all the problems of the S4 with the S4R...

What F'ing problems!!! I think you must look at this a different way... You say you just got out of a CBR 945RR... Did you like it? Was it PERFECT? If so, why did you sell? Why aren't you getting a CBR1000RR? Maybe the bike was perfect, too perfect? Maybe you want some "character"!!! I had an '87 Honda Magna before my S4 (yes, I know quite a jump) but I had it, a very old bike, plenty of miles on it, and never had a problem with it... But I LOVE my S4... Love to look at it, soon to love to hear it (just ordered up some Arrows!!!) But most importantly, I LOVE TO RIDE IT!!!

I am sure that if you read the latest review in Road and Track, they found something that they did not like about the new Ferrari Enzo... Ohhh Yea, they named the toyota prius as car of the year... Money aside, I am sure I would get the Enzo and "deal" with it's short comings....

Have you riden either bike? Have you riden a Ducati? What is it you are looking for??? Oh, and I am sure you can find and article where they cut the 749S to shreds!!! Hell, the new $8000ish CBR600RR can whup its ass!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To me it seems bike mags can be pretty picky on what the tell about a bike. Usually its things that we as average riders dont even notice or care.
Exactly.
The mag guys tend to get a bit spoiled. They often nit pick over the smallest thing just looking for flaws. If it is not all new and inovative, it gets little credit from the mags. The S4 and S4R are bikes made for Monster lovers. The Monster formula has worked for a long time. And sold very well. People wanted a bigger HP version of the toy they loved. Here they are. Perhaps the Monster is not for everyone, but its a great bike.
But if track time floats your boat, get the 749. Kick ass breaks. And a real complete package track wise. I rode a few and its hard to find anything wrong with it. Either bike will make you happy. I went with the S4R, because at this point I wanted something for around town mostly. But I still wanted to attend a few track days a year. I have slowed a lot over the last 5 years. A trips to the hospital by helicopter will do that. The S4R is appealing to the custom side of my bike interests, but still performs well enough to ride hard. A nice every day bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I may put in my comment... I have owned a 748 and now a S4R. I picked up my monster put 50 miles to scrub in the tires and went right at it on some of the best roads Southern Spain has to offer. I love this bike. I may be a little bias but I put that thing into a corner so hard I was waiting for the front end to go away and on exit for the rear end to go past me due to hard acceleration. I beat it like the red headed step child I have in my basement. It takes all I give it and looks at me like a board hooker. It is a good bike and I don't think you will be disappointed. I also think you would be happy with the 749, but it all is going to come down to WHAT YOU WANT. If you look at the two and the 749 talks a little louder to you then get it.

el pato

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with AllyCat. Sorry. S4R is too busy under the tank for my tastes. I will keep my 99 900S and get a 749 for speed.

Tom.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts