Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a way to restore the color of older carbon fiber? My DP cans are getting pretty well faded.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Restoring Appearence ov Carbon Fiber?

64duc said:
Anyone know of a way to restore the color of older carbon fiber? My DP cans are getting pretty well faded.
Remove the cans from the bike(duh) and clean....I used lacquer thiner. Go to an auto store and buy a spray can of high temp clear coat. Presto, like new carbon fiber cans....

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

desmodevil said:
sand and clear coat

I,ve already done this to all of my carbon bits. Works good to restore the shiny new finish. What I'm talking about is the fact that my cans are 11 years old and the color is fading to a lighter gray.

I also found that not just any clear will work. Some will turn opaque/white when they are sprayed on. This includes laquer, acrlic, and enamel. I use polyurethane. It's the only thing I've found that works and does't discolor at all.

Wash in the sink with dish soap and then wet sand with 600 grit only in places that need it. Its very easy to over sand and ruin the appearance.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts

64duc said:
I also found that not just any clear will work. Some will turn opaque/white when they are sprayed on. This includes laquer, acrlic, and enamel. I use polyurethane. It's the only thing I've found that works and does't discolor at all.

Wash in the sink with dish soap and then wet sand with 600 grit only in places that need it. Its very easy to over sand and ruin the appearance.
On my bike it seems that sunlight has faded the carbon on one side.

So what u'r saying is...take the pieces off, wash'em with soap then sand paper them with 600 grit (is this the roughness measure for the sand paper?) Once this is done...THEN spray'em with polyurethane or the proper laquer???

·
Registered
39 Posts

Nervous said:
Would the below on ebay be the same spray your talking abouts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/clear-laquer-50...9QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72203QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Clear laquer universal spray paint.500ml.acrylic formulation.high density spray paint.suitable for metal,wood,cardboard & most plastics.

The paint that I used (purchased this year at a Schucks auto-supply store) is called Dupli-Color engine enamel with ceramic. It's rated (their claim:) good to 500 degrees...Cear-coat of course.

My exhaust cans are 10 years old on a 94 M900 with 24K miles. I kept it in the garage and usually treat the cans with Nexus when I clean the bike. They had begun to look faded the past few years and I painted them early this year....Couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Test the paint first on a spot out of view....If you're real paranoid ride your bike after the test to see if the paint changes color ( to the dreaded white:), if all is well you're good to go.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts