Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've browsed around and found some of the comparisons of the newer bikes vs the old '95 m900 and was pleased to see so many people supporting the old fella. I'm sad to say though, that I got hit on the left side by a car coming out of a parking space (1-way street) and the insurance company is thinking of counting my bike as a total loss. :'( I've got pics in the Tech section for my post-accident damage. They had been including some old damage the bike already had on carbon fiber parts in the damage for this accident and totalled up to $2600 before even looking at the engine to see why the bike was stuck in gear. I told them most of that was old damage so hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed instead of totalled. Sadly enough they also couldn't figure out how to get my seat off so they thought the frame might be tweaked... (the latch needs to be greased so you have to push down on the back of the seat while you unlatch it...)

Anyway, just in case I do lose the old guy, I was looking at the Ducati site and I noticed that there aren't as large of a variety of monsters available anymore. Is the S2R1000 the only 1000cc new monster? Also, are there no bikes larger than the 695 that come with the dual arm aluminum swing arms anymore? For practicality's sake I'd like to be able to re-use my old rear stand but the dual arm also gives better handling. Do I have to try and dig up a M1000S or earlier to get the 1000cc and dual arm?

Another option I was thinking of was buying back the bike after it's counted as salvage and fix it on my own. I'm wondering if this would be worth it. If there's engine damage that would set me back a lot. I'm not even sure how much the insurance company would give me if they decided to total it. I just put on a $600 custom Sargent seat too.. :'(

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
As far as new 1000cc bikes go you might have to get a 2006 Supersport or a 2006 Superbike to get the double sided swing arm. The 695 is the only Monster remaining with a double arm. For most of us, I don't think we could tell any difference in handling between a SSSA and a double. I know what you mean about having to give up the rear stand. There are lots of good used Monsters out there with low miles if you want to go that route. It might not be too bad of an idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts