Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay girls and boys, I'm thinking I need to replace the rings (and who knows what else) in at least the horizontal cyclinder of my 97 M900. I'm wanting to get all the parts and tools together before I begin the project, so I don't have to wait so long for parts. Can you give me a detailed "parts list" of what it will require to do the job (rings, gaskets, seals, etc, etc)? Also, what special tools will I need (such as a ring compressor, etc)? Thanks for your help in advance. . .

G

·
this is totally up to you but i decided to replace everything when i threw in my hi comps into the ss. a haynes 2v manual will be a good investment if you don't have it allready. get your flavor of grey gasket (yamabond, hondabond... whatever). there's like three o-rings per head between the valve head and cylinder. these get hard over time due to heat and can be a source of oil leaks. for the few dollars it's good piece of mind to replace the o-rings especially if they're hardened. each cylinder has a steel base gasket... you might get away with re-using the old one but for $20 i just replaced 'em. head nuts could be replaced but i just re-used mine. a ring compressor makes life really nice and in my opinion is worth it's weight in gold... i picked up one of the nichols through ca-cycleworks. you'll either have to make your own head bolt wrench or buy one... i made one out of a 15mm cheapo wrench i cut and welded. when i get extra funds i'll probably just cough up the cash for the ducati tool... it just make life easier. the crankshaft turning tool makes life real easy but you could just put the bike in 5 or 6 gear and rotate the wheel.

this would be an excellent time to learn about the valves with the heads off... the pro-italia video, along with ducatisuite.com and ducatitech.com are good resources. well it was at least for me it was because i like to touch and see stuff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey, this raises a stupid question I had... What's the story on the head gasket or lack thereof? I'm looking at the parts catalog, and I'm just not seeing anything that seals the head to the cylinder. Purely academic curiosity, but I really like to know how my stuff works :)

Thanks

M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is no head gasket on the Monster. . . just several o-rings that seal off the oil journals. The head and cylinder are machined to high enough tollerances that no gasket is needed. There is a gasket between the cylinder and the crankcase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts