Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on switching from coffin M/Cs on my '97 m900 to those from a 996sp.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
What are the advantages to the reservior style brake and clutch assemblies vs. the coffins? I know the higher end bikes all have the reserviors, so obviously there has to be some advantage...

S

·
0 Posts
doesn't have anything to do with the reservoirs being remote as far as i know. the advantage is they displace more fluid with each lever-throw. more fluid -> more hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plus they just look cooler and they're smaller on the bars, freeing up more space to cut down your clipons!!

I bought a used set off a 748. Bolted right up with no issues, but I already had braided Galfer lines (cyclebrakes.com, I believe). Be sure to get the front brake switch, which will plug right into your current wiring.

Nice mod.
Dion

M

·
0 Posts
I started by removing the old factory rubber hoses on my 96 m900....replaced with Fren Tubo Kevlar lines. Helped a little....

Then I scrapped the coffin and went to the Nissin MC from Ca-Cycleworks....helped a LOT.....

Then I got carried away and got the 4 pad calipers and Narrow-Band Rotors....helped enormously..

very happy and could easily do continuous stoppies or flip the thing over now if I am not mindful of the increased power

search my posts and you'll find some info on what I went through a few (2-4) months back....I had old fork tubes w/smaller spaced caliper mounting points and had to get adapters, special length hoses, two different thread types for the caliper-adapter set-up etc

·
Registered
195 Posts
doesn't have anything to do with the reservoirs being remote as far as i know. the advantage is they displace more fluid with each lever-throw. more fluid -> more hydraulic pressure.
Welll.... It's a little thing, I suppose, but there's also the nuisance where the reservoir on the coffin brake master with dual discs isn't big enough to accommodate the difference in system volume between new pads and used-up pads. Which is a tiny thing in theory, but a massive PITA in practice. IMO.

M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts