Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

When I take my '03 M800 in for it's 12,000 mile service in a couple weeks I'm having the guages replaced under warranty for fogging. The dealer is telling me that my mileage has to be reset to zero, is this true?? I was under the impression that the guages could be set to a mileage once, am I wrong?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You know, I didn't even ask, but my guages read 0.0 when I got the old ones replaced, but I only had like 650 miles when I got mine replaced (twice). But I do recall reading on this board that they can program the mileage once.

N

·
0 Posts
I had a similer problem with my car. Probably the same will apply. But I had to get a new cluster for my car. The dealer wouldn't set it. They gave me a name of a company that delt with spedo's and such. If the dealer won't do it, ask a car dealership for a company that does it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
AFAIK, car dealers, and I assume MC dealers, are forbidden by law from resetting odometers. Due to some, shall we say, opportunistic dealers that figured out that used cars sold for more money if the mileage was lower...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had my gauges replaced at about 700 miles and was told the same thing, that they could not reset the milage. I noticed my gauges fog at times , they should be replaced?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
AFAIK, car dealers, and I assume MC dealers, are forbidden by law from resetting odometers. Due to some, shall we say, opportunistic dealers that figured out that used cars sold for more money if the mileage was lower...
You are correct Nick. When we replace a speedo/odometer in a car we are REQUIRED to put a sticker on the left door jamb stating that the Speedo/odo was changed on what date and what the mileage was on the original unit. Im not sure how that works for bikes.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Perhaps one of the unfortunate folks here that have had their gauges replaced can weigh in with FHE.

I suspect that as far as BigBrother is concerned, at best we as motorcyclists are such a minority that we're under the radar. At worst, we're [email protected] stepchildren, and BigBrother doesn't care in the least about protecting us from being ripped off or murdered by a sleazy politician, but is glad to take our sales tax and registration fees.

Where did that soapbox come from?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine was changed at 317 miles. The new one started at zero. I have to remember that I have an additional 317 miles on the bike.

Dealer misdiagnosed my problem! Mine did'nt have to be changed. Once done though they did'nt bother to switch everything back to my old one.

My ECU went bad. Not my instrument cluster.

Ride Safe,
JJ 8)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
i'm on gauge cluster number 6 (i think). mileage on the odometer reads ~1000 when i've really got 7400 on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'm resigned to having my mileage reset to zero. I'm getting the cluster replaced during my 12,000 miles service though, so at least it's an easy number to remember. Coincidentally the 12,000 mile service is scheduled for March 5, the same day I bought the bike, exactly 1 year ago.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If I'm correct in assuming that you are the first owner, then I don't see any reason to get the DMV involved. They'll never know, right?

I can't think of any burning reason for the odo to read correct. It'd be nice and all, granted.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Second owner actually (bought with 4k on it as a replacement for my poh, widdle dead 620), but I can't see how the DMV will care either way.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
As the original owner, I'm quite proud of the fact I've logged over 36k miles. I will *never* sell the tigerbike (hell, who would buy it?), so the transfer isn't an issue for me. However, I view the number on my odometer as one of the more impressive "mods" I've done to the bike. :)

Tigre

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I rode a Guzzi a couple weeks ago that had a label maker label on the guage cluster with a number on it. I would assume (now) that the guage cluster had been replaced, and the label was the old mileage...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Bloodshot said:
Hey all,

When I take my '03 M800 in for it's 12,000 mile service in a couple weeks I'm having the guages replaced under warranty for fogging.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I believe that the

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Thanks DucSea and Nick. I plan on keeping all the documentation re the replacement etc. And I also plan on being a moral, upstanding Duc owner and telling the buyer of the actual miles if I ever sell. I mean, we're all monster folk, right? Besides, it's probably illegal not to disclose that information. I just wanted to know if there was any downside to me as the current owner. Doesn't look like it ('cept for Tigre's braggin' rights point).

It's an important reminder, however, for those shopping for used bikes. Because gauge cluster replacements seem to be common, there's a decent chance that actual mileage on a used bike is more than what the odo shows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts