Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any other 695 owner found that the side panel stickers are just plain cheesy/cheap looking, and prone to start peeling, fogging, and discoloring after just a few careful cleanings? Ducati NY has offered to warranty replace them for me, which I will do and probably just keep them in the box for later if I sell. That is the only real complaint that I have about the bike, which is pretty [email protected]#n good if you ask me...but come on. I'd gladly pay a little extra to have the option of the nice badge that the S2/S4R carry in carbon fiber.

What I would like to do is pick up the CF replacement panels and have them customized with a 695 Monster logo/badge. Has anyone out there had this done, had this thought, or just think I'm crazy? I'd love to hear ideas, see pictures, get an estimate, etc...

Thanks all! ;D

·
Registered
911 Posts
How about NO side panels?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good, and I have thought about that as well. Not crazy about the visible mounting plate with the empty screw holes, though that could be fixed easliy.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ive tried to like my bike without the side panels but keep putting them back on. I like how they contrast the red frame. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yuu said:
Actually those brackets on Ciao funs bike are fro the passenger pegs, and not mounts for the little pod deals
Thanks for the info of what the mounting plate's purpose is. The 695 is a bit different in that regard. I'll take a look today and see what's underneath.

HyperM3 said:
Ive tried to like my bike without the side panels but keep putting them back on. I like how they contrast the red frame. Just my opinion.
I'm with you on that HyperM3. The contrast is nice with the panels.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Chchadder said:
Has any other 695 owner found that the side panel stickers are just plain cheesy/cheap looking, and prone to start peeling, fogging, and discoloring after just a few careful cleanings? Ducati NY has offered to warranty replace them for me, which I will do and probably just keep them in the box for later if I sell. That is the only real complaint that I have about the bike, which is pretty [email protected]#n good if you ask me...but come on. I'd gladly pay a little extra to have the option of the nice badge that the S2/S4R carry in carbon fiber.

What I would like to do is pick up the CF replacement panels and have them customized with a 695 Monster logo/badge. Has anyone out there had this done, had this thought, or just think I'm crazy? I'd love to hear ideas, see pictures, get an estimate, etc...

Thanks all! ;D
So.....you don't like the cheesy logo and stickers and want to remove them to put cabon fiber instead with the logo and stickers on carbon. Anyone else see the problem with this. Do you not like the stickers or do you not like the black plastic? Look at HyperM3's he removed the 695 and let the monster and italian flag on. Looks like that at least in his signature. Do that.

I also do not like it without them at all. Looks weird.

·
Registered
78 Posts
C Fresh said:
So.....you don't like the cheesy logo and stickers and want to remove them to put cabon fiber instead with the logo and stickers on carbon. Anyone else see the problem with this. Do you not like the stickers or do you not like the black plastic? Look at HyperM3's he removed the 695 and let the monster and italian flag on. Looks like that at least in his signature. Do that.

I think he was referring to the side panels that you see on the S4RS and others, where there is a badge on carbon, rather than the stickers you get on the 695.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C Fresh said:

cgarrison said:
I think he was referring to the side panels that you see on the S4RS and others, where there is a badge on carbon, rather than the stickers you get on the 695.
Thanks for clarifying that point cgarrison. I don't hate the way the stickers themselves look in general, but feel that it is a bit of a cheap way to finish an otherwise great bike. I don't even really mind the plastic, but if I'm upgrading and doing custom...might as well go carbon or something a little more eyecatching. The real problem with the stickers comes in after a few cleanings/wipedowns when they start to peel, fog, and look basically crappy and cheap (cheaper than they did).

My question and thought was not to put stickers back on carbon panels (simply perpetuating the annoyance), but was asking if anyone had done (or thought of doing) anything CUSTOM in carbon with these panels. Possibly with a badge or something like the S2R/4R's have, or custom artwork. Just throwing around ideas at this point to see if anything sticks.

Once it stops raining here I am going to remove the panels completely and see how I like it, but pretty sure I'm going to like having something there.

Thanks all for the responses, and I welcome any ideas!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
130 Posts
My stickers started peeling off about two weeks after I got my bike, so I took off the 695 and put on 1098. ;D Not really,but not a bad idea. Those stupid Harley guys wouldn't know any different.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I took mine off a long time ago. I have a S2R1000. I had to realign a few wires, but I like the look a lot better. I found that the hardware store had some small plastic stikers used to cover screws and bolts on colored laminated furniture. These come in different sizes and I was able to find some small ones to cover the screw holes on the frame. They work great. I have had them on the bike for probably 5000 miles and countless washings. You can't tell they are even on the bike if you are further then a foot a way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks nice. The plate is alot less obtrusive on the dark frame.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Ok, it sounded you wanted to put back on the stickers just on carbon. I like the carbon badges better, but am out on the carbon itself. I am just not a fan of the bikes that have carbon everywhere. I know you could get some badges to put on them, but most of those are stickers again. You could always get some stickers (vintage logo or something) then clear coat over it again and the stickers will look fine for a long time, plus it will help to protect the carbon. You could get some custom paint and paint the logo then clear coat also. I would probably go this route as I have not seen anything but the carbon with nothing on it and the oem one with the badges for the S_R bikes.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've also been looking into a hard enamel badge (cloisionne) over brass or aluminum, like the color military challenge coins. Kind of expensive, but would look amazing. Another option I've been contemplating is a laser engraved badge. Route the carbon a smidge where the badge sits so it rests below the surface, and have it glued to and fastened through the carbon. Sounds like a lot of work for a side panel though ;D...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One thing you could do is paint the panels, and even try and incorporate the decal as well. Or better yet, replicate the decal using paint as well. You could finish off a pretty nice looking piece using stock parts. The trick w/ the Dark is getting a non-glossy clear coat.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah...that'd be real cool...if my name was Picasso or Rembrandt! [laugh] I'm lucky that I can barely read my own handwriting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.