Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally kicked the right rear turn signal this morning getting off my bike. The turn signal broke from the base and is now hanging by the two wires.

Well I guess it works out because I'm in the market for a fender eliminator. More than likely I'm going with CW. What aftermarket turn signals are available that will attach to the CW kit? I'm still relatively new to the Ducati line and available products.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Turn signals

Talk to Jeff Higgenbottom of monsterparts.com.

He has the CW fender eliminator for a good price, and a variety of aftermarket turn signals. I think he's a Rizoma and Ducati Performance dealer too, so he might be able to get turn signals from those manufacturers also.
Either way, he's a very good resource and aftermarket/performance parts dealer.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
turn signals

Oh! Those look great. I want to put new DP billet mirrors and turn signals on my 09 696, since I want to keep it "factory custom", including Carbon Fiber and DP fender eliminator, except for maybe some purely bolt-on Rizoma or Lightech resevoir covers, oil plug, ProGrips. But DP parts are expensive.
The 2001 750 on the other hand is getting Rizoma, MPL, Speedymoto parts. Major project bike.
So, long story made short - I am going with the CW fender and Kellerman signals.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have the triangular Rizomas rigged to a license plate reinforcer I rigged up. They are nice and close to the taillight and to the headlight up front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may not need to buy new signals. I had the exact same thing happen to my bike, somehow bumped the left signal and it appeared to snap and hang by the wires. I was at the dealer, and they fixed it temporarily with some duct tape and electrical tape.

When I bought the CW fender eliminator and was expecting to have to buy aftermarket signals. However, the signal I thought was broke worked perfectly fine, so it must have broken a piece on the fender, not on the signal itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same exact thing, caught the right rear turn signal getting off the bike, and yes it broke the rear deck, not the turn signal itself. I just finished putting the CW eliminator kit on the bike and I must say the stock turn signals look good enough once moved in and forward. Now for a new seat. Anyone know of any aftermarket seats that fit the 696/1100 yet besides the ducati touring seat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about the stock turn signal...

Say I didn't want the tail chop. How could I get the replacement for the stock signal (since I kicked mine off recently too!). do I really have to buy a whole new rear fender?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Say I didn't want the tail chop. How could I get the replacement for the stock signal (since I kicked mine off recently too!). do I really have to buy a whole new rear fender?
If you have determined that the signal is not broken then you will need to replace the mount that is part of the pan on the tail section. Once you take the seat off and have a careful look you will see how it all dismantles. I have mine all apart today and will be ordering the CW kit. No idea what the cost of the stock part is to mount the signal but it may be close to the cost of a fender elimnator kit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have seen this damage a few times now. I have to say that it is poorly designed, that the body gets damaged, not the turn signal, and the cost of repair is excessive. If this happened to me I would scream bloody murder, not that it would accomplish anything.

The signal just hangs out back there, and it is too easy to swipe it with your leg on a mount or dismount, and is an expensive lesson to learn.

Would be nice if the dealer warned new purchasers of the potential problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know right!!!! Sam thing happened to me 2 days after I had picked up my brand new M696 dark frm the dealer! I'm lucky I have a great relationship with the guys at Ducati Miami and they offered to replace it when they got the replacement parts in..... I can't believe how they would overlook something like this and seemed to have forgone turnsignal implementations that they've had on other models to prevent accidents like this from happening..... ie. Rubber mounts in the end so you can move/wiggle the turn signal a little without it snapping off!!! Oh well...... It is what it is....

·
Registered
56 Posts
locktite epoxy held mine in place while I waited for the dp fender eliminator. (about a month and over a thousand miles) I started with duck tape and decided it was not the look I was going for.... The break happened on the fender not the signal - so it provided a good excuse to buy the eliminator which cleaned up the backend!!

in the first photo you can see where the break happened - it was on the upper assembly of the the fender - I think it is about a $70 part. Again I just eliminated the whole fender and went with the tail chop which relocates the stock indicators to a more appropriate location as previously mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did the same thing to my left rear turn signal yesterday after over 4,000 miles. a couple of drops of crazy glue did the trick.

Wont matter for very long as i plan to install a "smoked tail light" with integrated turn signals and using the competition werks fender eliminator to mount the plate further in where it wont accept the stock signals. I think this will really clean up the back end.

Has anyone else done this? Pics would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I am really looking to remove stuff that hangs off the bike, so I think I figured out a way to replace the rear blinks with LED strips. There happens to be this really nice 5" long pocket at the back of the bike... Home to post picks of it finished tomorrow. GO VIKINGS!

·
Registered
41 Posts
696 tail chop + flush LED blinks + Plate relocate

Well, I spent the day finishing up the turn signal project, which turned into a full tail chop and plate relocation. Check the picture. I got the LEDs from Radiantz and they go from running light red to brake (bright red) to orange blinks (alt from red to orange). You need the extra Dual Element Circuit to do this, but it's cheap - so go for it. I basically created a couple custom brackets that positioned the lights so they peek out the bottom at a slight angle to the outside so I get better side viz.
I had purchased the DP short tail as soon I got the bike, so I carved it up for this and just tried to follow the natural lines. When you do this the plate mount goes bye-bye, which is a slight issue since the brake light mounts to the bike on the same bracket. I cut off the part that holds the light and remounted. The remaining plate piece was again, chopped and mounted to the underside by using the single bolt that is right between the exhaust mounts. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i've kicked my rear turn signals hundreds of times either mounting or dismounting my M620, never, either turn signal broke, had a lowside right side and even then the only thing broken was the lens; yes, the stem bent a bit but, didn't break.
does this mean the M696/1100 ts are more fragile than older models?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts