Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ducati Monster Cromo. A few weeks ago I went out to start the bike and the clutch fluid reservoir was completely empty. After looking around I saw the most likely issue was the slave cylinder, so I ordered a replacement from Oberon. I put it on today, bled the line, and now it's not working at all. The only way I can pull in the clutch handle is if I open the bleeder valve. I'm not sure if this means the slave cylinder wasn't the issue, if I installed the slave cylinder wrong, or if the slave cylinder is defective. I'm wondering if I should've used the spacer that came with the slave cylinder, even though it says it's only for pre-2000 Ducati models.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. Check slave first. Remove slave cylinder, visually check it's moving when operating clutch lever. apply some pressure to where clutch rod attaches. ie. push in. remove reservoir cap, avoid spilling fluid. sometimes, slave actuator is all the way out when bleeding and a hydraulic lock has happened. Yes, can happen if you leave a spacer out. The clutch spring pressure should push slave in. As you cannot move clutch lever It probably needs the spacer. clutch rod should be 30mm out from crankcase, if less, spacer is required. Ducati changed rod length around 2000, so you may have the old short one.
Please check, spacer is hard to remove afterwards.
I have 2001 900ie and the spacer was required with Oberon.

2. remove clutch cover, does the clutch stack move at all?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I ran into the same issue with my 2000 M750. Although Oberon says the spacer should be removed for Monsters up to 1999, you'll run into an issue on 2000s as well. Remove the spacer, re-install and you should be set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts