Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Replace in-tank fuel line, 2001 Monster 900ie Dark

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  johnmorrison1hh 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Through my research on here, I found out that my leaking overflow fuel line which won't stop dripping is likely due to a loose line inside the tank. Are there any tips or tricks you all use to access and replace this? I do know its a huge pain to get up in there with all the stuff inside so I'm looking for anything to make it easier.

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
You just have to remove the fuel cap lid. there are several small allen key type screws around the cap. get a rag or something to block the hole. These screws are tiny and if they fall in, well, the job gets harder.
The cap itself has an 'o'ring that can be stuck a little. I used the rubber handle of a hammer to work it loose. Make sure to grease it when re attaching.
the two tubes are connected to this cap, so if split there, fairly easy to trim and secure. If split further down, you have to get your arm in, impossible for me, but my partner has fore arms that reach. She has done it a few times.

If you have arms like this picture it will be easy. :giggle:
Muscle Human body Jaw Sleeve Waist

The pump and filter are held in place by sprung 'c'clamps. when installing the cap, the rubber outer seal can be tricky, push the cap down almost all the way, then get the seal on and push in. this seal can slip down easily, it takes a few goes.
hope this helps.

#4 ·
I had to pull everything out of mine because the line that connected the filter to the pump had split open. The hardest part was getting the flange out after all the screws had been removed, I could pull on it with all my might and it wouldn't budge. Finally I stuck a broom handle in it, and with just the slightest bit of sideways pressure it popped out. Getting the gasket back in place when reinserting the flange is definitely a challenge and I did drop one of those little grub screws down the tank so stuff a paper towel or something in the opening when you're putting the cap back on if you want to save yourself the heartache. As others have said, this is a good opportunity to replace the filter. I recommend replacing the fuel line with submersible rated line, not the free piece they give you with the filter that is god knows what. Also the screen that goes on the end of the pump has probably turned to a layer of goo at the bottom of your tank so it's a good time to replace that / clean up the mess, and hell, why not do the pump too while you're at it? If you look on Youtube there is a guy called ******* Oriental that has a pretty good video covering the whole operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.