Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pull off my cover today and the paint is damaged on the tank, it looks lighter in certain spots, not bubbling or chipped, but like someone just rubbed it off. the cover was old and used to be on a bike i was fixing that had a breakline issue, but the cover has been on the ducati for weeks with no issue. and this doesn't look like a chemical burn of some kind. but i can't think of any other reason. needless to say the tank looks like ****. if i wanted to repaint stock titanium grey, how much am i looking at? can i order the decals? are they under a clearcoat layer?

so bummed.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
i pull off my cover today and the paint is damaged on the tank, it looks lighter in certain spots, not bubbling or chipped, but like someone just rubbed it off. the cover was old and used to be on a bike i was fixing that had a breakline issue, but the cover has been on the ducati for weeks with no issue. and this doesn't look like a chemical burn of some kind. but i can't think of any other reason. needless to say the tank looks like ****. if i wanted to repaint stock titanium grey, how much am i looking at? can i order the decals? are they under a clearcoat layer?

so bummed.
That sucks! I'm afraid there's no cheap way outa this one if it needs a repaint. Since it's already damaged, you might try some light grade (800 grit) wet sanding followed by (ultra fine) rubbing compound and see if it'll lift some of the haze off. If you are VERY careful it could improve the appearance to a "passable" condition. If you're really lucky, you might be able to follow that with just clear coat and get your shine back.

I'm pretty sure the decals (stripe and Ducati emblems) are under clear coat so probably would require significant prep work to repaint.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts