Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning to re-pack my pipes but am having trouble getting the end caps off. They are carbon fiber oval slip ons and are Sils as best I can tell (not purchased by me). I have drilled all the rivets on the rear end but am still having no luck getting the cap off... anu ideas? do i have to drill the rivets out of both ends? is the center perferated part attached to the rear? front? both?
cheers,
Brian

D

·
0 Posts
I have seen pipes before that did in fact have the perferated tube attached to one of the end caps.

If I were you, I'd try taking the other side off as well- you can always rivet it back right? Then it should be obvious.

H

·
0 Posts
Did you just drill the heads off the rivets, or did you drive the body of the rivet out with a punch? If you didn't drive them out, that's probably the problem.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You may as well drill out both ends. If your pipes are like the Ducati Performance pipes that I repacked, you have to remove both ends to get everything out anyway. Most of the rivets fell inside when I drilled them, but maybe one fourth needed to be pushed in with a center punch.

Be sure to use a high temperature silicone sealer when you put it all back together.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Brian,
Have only had experience with termi's. But as most of the guys said above, you have to drill the rivits out of both ends, make sure the rivits fall inside, if they don't knock em in with a pin punch (otherwise they won't come apart). The perforated tube (on the Termi's anyway) is part of the bottom end (slip on end), the rear cap (exhaust end) should come out once you remove the rivits, then the outer should slide off. Leaving you with the perforated inner, bottom (or rear plate) & the packing all in one piece.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
oops, thought this was about weed too. ;D
I wonder what would happen if you put weed in your pipes- this is for the sake of science of course. Would it be like that scene in History of the World Part One where they were in the chariot getting chased by the Roman army and they rolled up a giant joint and smoked them out.... :-/

H

·
0 Posts
You're the only person I know of, that could get your lips around the outlet pipe! I'd say 9000 rpm would be quite a hit! ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Un plug one spark plug and do 90 down the interstate. The heat will melt the rivets and blow off your end caps. Just remember to take off the blinkers first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts