Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have an '03 620 and I'd like to change all 4 rear wheel bearings for good measure. The old hog is at 10K now. I screwed around with a hammer and some screwdrivers for like 30 mins and said "SCREW THIS!" I need some good advise on how to get the bearings out. I've seen a few things searching around and gotten some good advise on tools but can't seem to apply anything to my setup. Plus I'm trying with a bunch of crappy tools.

I understand the concept of getting the two for the wheel out. (Angled tool for the slot in the spacer then tap out bla bla bla.) But I think you guys can agree that they suck.

I need some solutions for 1) removing the two from the wheel and 2) removing the two from the cush drive.

I'd like to find a tool locally in so-cal if possible. My bike is sitting in my garage in pieces and it hurts me inside. Anyone in So-Cal feel like helping me out in person? Free beer?

Any help is appreciated.

-Jonny

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I use the hammer-slotted screwdriver method, but those bearings should last a lot longer than 10K. Unless they feel rough, why bother?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bearings feel like crap.

Is there enough of an angle to get a slotted screwdriver in that notch and tap out? If so, i'll try that next.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I just grind a little V in a cheap slotted screwdriver. Some people use a propane torch to make it easier, but I've never felt the need. Make sure you put the new bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours before you install them.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call on the V.

Any thoughts on the cush drive bearings guys?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can't you take the wheel/carrier to a machine shop and offer them $10 to press the old bearings out and new bearings in WITHOUT scratching anything? I've done it before.

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That tool idea is awesome! What's the specs on that bolt?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I've got a blind wheel bearing puller set that's different from the motion pro one. It has cylinders that fit into the bearing like an axle. But they have a cut or split in them. From the other side, you hammer in a wedge that's part of a long bar. The wedge spreads the split and forms a lock in the bearing. Then put wheel on wood in a press and press out the bearings. Super easy and the tool set is only $49. Wheel bearing removal tool set (33 x 1.5, 8 pc) TL-1099 $49

·
Registered
705 Posts
For wheel bearings I just use a rod that I've fabed up - like a flat tipped screw driver - just a few taps and they come right out.

Has anyone ever used the grease method to remove a cup bearing? I was perplexed on the removal of a bearing that had no access just sitting in a cup. My old time neighbor was over chatting and he said to fill the inside of the bearing with grease and put a cloth over it and just press your thumb into the hole - essentially lifting the bearing out with hydraulics. I was dumbfounded when that sucker just slipped out! [thumbsup]

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I just had the most pain in ARSE time with these last wheel bearings I removed off a 99 900 rear. First came the heat, then came some allen wrenches and a socket trick, no dice... Then came fire, then came the beer and I said fudge it. Popped off the rubber seal, took a dremel (cutting wheel) to the the center race and squeezed out two ball bearings and the rest was history. The front ones were cake, just a little heat and knocked them out with a screw driver and hammer. For installation of new ones I placed the new bearings in the freezer (metal shrinks) while heating up the wheel where they sit (expanding metal). Took the ones out the freezer, lined it up in the wheel, couple of smacks with a large socket of same diameter of bearing and in they went. My last wheel I had was simple, I just heated the F out of it and they fell right out. :-\

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
motophile365 said:
Has anyone ever used the grease method to remove a cup bearing? I was perplexed on the removal of a bearing that had no access just sitting in a cup. My old time neighbor was over chatting and he said to fill the inside of the bearing with grease and put a cloth over it and just press your thumb into the hole - essentially lifting the bearing out with hydraulics.
you can also use wadded up wet paper towel or napkin. Tear into little pieces and soak in water then insert into bearing cup area. I used a socket extension since this fit perfectly into the bearing race. The nice thing about water is ...it will not compress! and when you smack it with a hammer... and it will squirt(use goggles) its all over your face....easier to clean off then grease!

back to the lab,
RB

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned using heat yet. Heat the hub a little with a torch and they fall right out.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Norm said:
I use the hammer-slotted screwdriver method
This is how I did it. I used a bent screw driver and put the slot in the notch from the other side of the wheel and it it with a hammer until it popped out. (I believe this is the reason for the notch.) Wheel needs to be propped up so you arent just banging the bearing into the ground.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts