Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to start another oil change thread, but I haven't seen the answer to this yet, even in the FAQ and Ducati Suite pages.

How do you remove the oil screen? On my 04 I used a 21mm socket to take the nut off (the one with the thermister attached to it). I can see the screen in there but I didn't know how to get it out. It was getting dark tonight so I put it aside.

Do I use a 14mm hex socket to unscrew the screen or reach in with a pair of needle-nose pliers and grab it?

G

·
You're on the right track.
You need to find a 14mm hex to get in there an loosen the oil screen (you won't get far with the pliers). Mine was on there pretty good, so you might need a little additional leverage when twisting.
After I took it off, I swished it in a little kerosene and was good to go.
Also, I don't know if you have tracked one down yet, but I had a heck of a time finding a 14mm hex. I guess they are not that common.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
14mm hex driver socket, 1/2" drive. Got mine about 10 years ago for the drainplug on a Benz I had, can't remember where I got it......

I needed a 1/2" breaker bar to get mine off the first time, it was hella tight.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Click on the YABBC tag button, second row, second from the left, it looks like a globe or somesuch. It will insert this in your post ( I've added spaces to the text so it doesn't get executed):

[u r l][/u r l]

Modify it like this:

[u r l=insert url here]insert clever word or phrase here[/u r l]

If I do that with your link, it looks like this:
cool SK tool site

If you want to see exactly what it looks like, hit the 'quote' button at the top right of my post and you'll see exactly what I've typed in this post.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I went through the same thing Saturday changing my oil for the first time. I found a 14mm hex socket at a local Auto Zone. NOBODY else had one...not even Sears and they have all that Craftsmen stuff.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
ditto the autozone, i bought the set, 12,14,17. lifetime warranty just like sears. works for me.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yeah, that set of 12,14,17 is the same set I got. I don't know why nobody by Auto Zone carries it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts