Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about having my swingarm powder coated, but Im not sure how to suspend the bike for the job. I have a standard motorcycle/ ATV jack but Im not sure about all the weight being on the oil pan (I would remove the header pipe, obviously) I will probably have the forks out at the same time so the front end will be up on a Pitbull New Front Stand. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I have a stand like this that would do the trick.

Of course, my bike is currently getting taken apart to powdercoat the swingarm AND frame.

im seriously considering one of these

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hang it from an overhaed joist in the garage?
I thought about this, but my house was built in 75 and I would hate to come out to find a joist broke free and dropped the bike. I still may try this though.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I wish they'd have made it a few inches narrower. Too wide to fit on lift. :(

I love mine... Maybe you need a wider lift? ;D

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Use the Pitbull on the front, & support the rest of the bike with a bottle or sissor jack under the header crossover.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Norm, thats what I was wondering if the oil pan there could handle the weight of the bike. I have a nice bike lift with rubber supports and everything, just worried about cracking the bottom of the motor.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The oil pan will support it, but since it's not flat, you will have to use blocks of wood to keep it from wobbling. The best support it the exhaust crossover, very secure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is removing the swingarm?
Is there a site that explains how to do this? I had been thinking of painting my swingarm as well but didn't want to go into that project totally blind.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not done the work yet but I would guess its a 4 on my scale just for removal. I dont know yet about getting the bearings out. That may prove to be the hard part.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I the lift that you have will work just fine also the bottle jack on the crossover will work. I think on mine i used a couple of scissor jacks. And as far as taking the swingarm off piece of cake and as chris said watch for the shims. Powder coat the swingarm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have my bike hanging from the door frame chin-up bar.
How did it get there? ::) Well, I have been trying to install a SIL MOTOR high exhaust. Now I need a step by step on how to reinstall my ride height adjustment bar. I would think twice about buying one of these exhausts. It took about 4 months to get and nothing fits. True my mechanical skill level is a sledge hammer, pry bar and an axe. If it takes more than that there is going to be a whole lot of @#$*! and the wife goes shopping for the day. One end of the pipe had a flat spot so two peices did not fit. Fixed that, then The front header does not line up with the bolt holes. It is about a half a bolt width off. the rear header is too long it sticks out too far before turning down and hits the ride height adjustment bar. I thought if I removed it the pipe might fit (not even with two sledge hammers ;D) so now I can't get the ride height bar back in place. Even with no pipe in the way. Any tricks tips or direction on how to get it the ride height bar to fit abck in its original configuration is greatly appreciated and desperately need.
While its apart I might as well finish taking it apart and get the swingarm powdercoated. If the bike is suspended are any parts under pressure? The bottom bolt going through the shock and bottom of the ride height bar is like welded in there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I do before I start taking anything apart is spray the heck out of any screws/bolts with WD-40 then I get all my tools tegether and get organized, letting the WD-40 soak in. The bolt holding the shock on (large allen that you access through a hole in the swingarm) was very tight but I just put the allen key in there clamped the etruding handle with a vise grip and tapped the vise grip with a small hammer (not sledge) until it moved.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and I would not trust the door jam to hold my bike. I built a rack out of galvanized plumbing pipe (suggested by a member of this site) it cost me about $40 and I plan on just returning the pipe when Im finished for a total cost of $0
I used ratchet straps to go from the frame to may pipe rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts